• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cbm pet 8296-d black screen

Unfortunately i can't see any information on dd unit :(

Attachments

• Schermata 2022-01-28 alle 22.20.08.jpg
    Schermata 2022-01-28 alle 22.20.08.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 6
It is probably on the other side of the drive...

However, the -038 (what’s in there already) is designed for Micropolis disk drives whereas the -048 is designed for MPI disk drives - so they are not interchangeable. You need to find a -047 for Micropolis disk drives.

Down the snake...

Dave

If you want to repair the unit you will have to get a PCB made for the replacement of the 6530 with the appropriate firmware downloaded from the Zimmers website burnt into a suitable EPROM.

I, personally, wouldn’t bother and would buy one of these: https://www.thefuturewas8bit.com/sd2pet-future.html. Other (similar) solutions are available - including a PCB layout for the DIYer.

Those are, I think, your options.

Dave

By the look of your photograph you have Micropolis disk drives. I confirmed this by looking at your photograph and comparing it to the disk drive plans in the maintenance manual.

The compatible devices for the 6530 at location UK3 is therefore:

901483-03 DOS Version 2.5 6530-038.
901885-04 DOS Version 2.7 6530-047.

Dave

By the look of your photograph you have Micropolis disk drives. I confirmed this by looking at your photograph and comparing it to the disk drive plans in the maintenance manual.

The compatible devices for the 6530 at location UK3 is therefore:

901483-03 DOS Version 2.5 6530-038.
901885-04 DOS Version 2.7 6530-047.

Dave
Ok thanks so much Dave...the only thing that i can do is buying a replacement board :(

Ok thanks so much Dave...the only thing that i can do is buying a replacement board :(
I can confirm this. I have several CBM disk drives, and they all have the 6530 RRIOT that has a small ROM inside. The ROM differs from version to version, and with all the different chips you are really not going to find a replacement soon. Your best option is therefore the replacement board with a 6530 and an external ROM on it. If you want to make the board yourself, you can find more info here: http://retro.hansotten.nl/6502-sbc/6530-6532/

This friend is repairing a 8296 pet board now... Dave is Your pet tester fine also for 8296?

I have never tried it with an 8296. Give it a go...

I’ll have a look and see how compatible one is.

Dave

I am not seeing anything in the 8296 that would cause my PETTESTER firmware to not work.

However, it will not know anything about the additional RAM - so it will not be tested in full.

No guarantees though - but it would be interesting to know whether it actually works or not for other potential repairs in the future...

The firmware checksums are likely to be incorrect (due to 'tweaked' Commodore BASIC firmware to support the additional memory etc.).

Dave

I am not seeing anything in the 8296 that would cause my PETTESTER firmware to not work.

However, it will not know anything about the additional RAM - so it will not be tested in full.

No guarantees though - but it would be interesting to know whether it actually works or not for other potential repairs in the future...

The firmware checksums are likely to be incorrect (due to 'tweaked' Commodore BASIC firmware to support the additional memory etc.).

Dave
Ok i give to my friend...always in edit socket?? Thanks!

Hi Daver, my friend Antonio testing your pet tester in this 8296 cbm pet... This pet show random char or symbols on screen... With pet tester in edit rom socket show this:

So my PETTESTER is working...

It looks like you have a monitor brightness issue (or some other monitor issue).

I suspect you may also have a video logic issue also.

I will look at the video in freeze-frame mode a little later to see if I can ascertain what is going on halfway down the screen.

Dave

The 8296 appears to use High = Black and Low = White. The 8032 (CPU board from the SuperPET - and hence the SuperPET monitor) appears to use High = White and Low = Black. This accounts for the inverse video we are seeing. Have you tried adjusting the screen brightness ?

The 8296 appears to have a completely different circuit for the video sub-system, even though it appears to work in an 'enhanced' mode. I don't, however, see any reason why the PETTESTER should not be driving it correctly.

A 'normal' PET has separate video RAM. The 8296 uses 'system' RAM and shares this with the CPU.

My PETTESTER has clearly worked out that the 'video RAM' = Main RAM (in the area $8000 to $87FF) is working OK (otherwise it wouldn't move on past the VDU RAM check screen. It has also checked out pages 0 and 1 of the RAM.

The next thing to do is to compare and contrast the 80 column display in my PETTESTER documentation to what you are obtaining (and observing) on the screen. In particular, look at the first 256 characters at the top of the screen. Are the text and graphic characters displayed correct to my documentation?

Next, look at the 'fixed text' that should be observable on the screen, the 4-digit checksums for each of the ROMS and the 2-digit countdown value. Are these correct or not. Is the 'rubbish' that appears half-way down the screen fixed or does it vary?

I suspect some problem from the CRTC address and data bus through the buffers to the main RAM to be at fault somewhere.

I would be looking around UC9 (6545 CRTC), UA9 (74LS257) and UB9 (74LS257) first.

Dave

Last edited:
Back