• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CBM PET REPAIR

Desperado

Veteran Member
Hi guys, i am back to try repair this Pet myself. No desperation, right??
When i bought this pet, the power cord had been cut... So i replaced with a New one. Now i washed the mainboard.... When it s dry i ll try to plug it in and turn it on....

Attachments

• 1670088893260..jpg
    1670088893260..jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 7
  • 1670088914366..jpg
    1670088914366..jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 7
Last edited:
Correct, no desparation allowed!

Before you plug the main board in, I would check that the transformer produces the correct AC voltages on the secondary (remember to disconnect the monitor power leads at the monitor PCB before doing this).

Also, check the large electrolytic capacitor out for leakage or bulging and check for a short circuit (or low resistance) between the terminals with a multimeter set to Ohms. The capacitor should start out as a low resistance, and then the resistance should increase as the multimeter builds up a charge on the capacitor plates. A permanent low resistance would indicate a damaged capacitor. A permanent high resistance would indicate the capacitor is not functioning properly.

Also, I would check for a very low resistance ( < 1 Ohm - if you can measure that low) between the mains plug top earth pin and the metal case of the PET.

I would always do this before powering up any PET personally.

Dave

Water and Chante Claire Dave!

If you are using water, it has to be de-ionized water, not tap water. And on top of that you have to elevate the board temperature to maybe 70 deg C afterwards, to evaporate it in a reasonable time frame.

Chante Clair, is a detergent.

There is no need for a detergent, as you are not trying to emulsify oils into an aqueous solution, not unless somebody had previously dipped your PET board in oil.

The reason is the water infiltrates the IC sockets and starts to react with the socket claws. And it takes a while to leave that location, even with heating.

Unless the water is fully evaporated, in less than a few hours, electrolytic process take place and corrodes the sockets.

While many scenarios have turned up on Youtube videos ( I hope you are not watching them) about cleaning computer pcb's with water & detergent, even in dish washers, I am afraid these are not good .

Not so much for the PET board that does not contain too many vulnerable components, but there are many components such as adjustable pcb mount capacitors, open frame trimmer potentiometers and IC sockets that are damaged by this method.

The better way to clean a pcb is with a solvent that is benign to any ink markings and and pcb coatings, and has a very high vapor pressure and evaporates quickly without leaving any residual damage.

A suitable product is CRC's CO Contact cleaner.

Last edited:
Hello, I checked the voltages and they all seem correct. I don't know if I'm measuring correctly but on the big capacitor I always have a high resistance... I tried to connect the board and, with surprise, it turned on! But sometimes it turns on and sometimes it doesn't!

I saw an absurd event....with the keyboard unplugged, the Pet started typing on its own! I turned it off and back on and it was fine...

I used contact cleaner in every socket and now seems to works correctly!
Too easy repair this time :(

luckily, a friend delivered me yesterday a rusty 3032 PET that doesn't work...hope you all will help me to fix this machine ;)

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-04 alle 15.37.22.png
    Screenshot 2022-12-04 alle 15.37.22.png
    843.2 KB · Views: 6
Back