• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CDRom setup for cdrom that hooks to soundcard?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I picked up a sweet all original IBM PS/1 that I have been playing with, as you might have read from my other posts. I wiped the hard drive and have installed Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11 WFW on it. The problem is after wiping it the cdrom, which uses an cable to the sound card, doesn't work anymore. For installing I just threw in an IDE cdrom and the oakcdrom.sys.

It has these two components:
Aria 16 Soundcard
Matsushita CR-563-B cdrom

The first thing I did was installed the Aria 16 dos and win 3.11 drivers. The soundcard works great in both dos and windows now.

The next thing I did was I took the CDROMDOS.SYS off the IBM PS/1 recovery cd and I placed it in C:\DOS.

I added the following to my autoexec.bat (it was there before I formatted):
MSCDEV /D:MSCD001 /M:15 /V /L:E (this is the same line I also used with my DVD rom)

I added the following to my config.sys (also was there before the format)
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CDROMDOS.SYS /D:MSCD001 /S:D /P:310

When I boot into dos it fails when trying to load the cdrom driver:
Copyright (C) Matshushita-Kotobuki Electronics
Device driver name = MSCD0001:
Supporting the following units:
Interface board or cd-rom drive is not ready
Insure that the drive power is on and drive cables are correctly attached.

What could I be missing to get this cdrom going again?
- The sound card is working
- The cdrom opens and closes (has power)

I'm wondering if before the format, there was a line in CONFIG.SYS that enabled the CDROM connector on the sound board which isn't installed by default?
I've had a couple of cards that needed a line each boot to turn them on, but I'm not familiar with the Aria 16.

If it was working before, then it's most likely a driver problem or the connector is on back to front (I spent 3 hours on my Creative setup only to find at the end of it, I had the cable in backwards, eck!)

I picked up a sweet all original IBM PS/1 that I have been playing with, as you might have read from my other posts. I wiped the hard drive and have installed Dos 6.22 and Win 3.11 WFW on it. The problem is after wiping it the cdrom, which uses an cable to the sound card, doesn't work anymore. For installing I just threw in an IDE cdrom and the oakcdrom.sys.

It has these two components:
Aria 16 Soundcard
Matsushita CR-563-B cdrom

The first thing I did was installed the Aria 16 dos and win 3.11 drivers. The soundcard works great in both dos and windows now.

The next thing I did was I took the CDROMDOS.SYS off the IBM PS/1 recovery cd and I placed it in C:\DOS.

I added the following to my autoexec.bat (it was there before I formatted):
MSCDEV /D:MSCD001 /M:15 /V /L:E (this is the same line I also used with my DVD rom)

I added the following to my config.sys (also was there before the format)
DEVICEHIGH=C:\DOS\CDROMDOS.SYS /D:MSCD001 /S:D /P:310

When I boot into dos it fails when trying to load the cdrom driver:
Copyright (C) Matshushita-Kotobuki Electronics
Device driver name = MSCD0001:
Supporting the following units:
Interface board or cd-rom drive is not ready
Insure that the drive power is on and drive cables are correctly attached.

What could I be missing to get this cdrom going again?
- The sound card is working
- The cdrom opens and closes (has power)

Edit you your AUTOEXEC.BAT to something like this: C:\DOS\MSCDEX.EXE /D:MSCD001. The problem as I see it is with "MSCDV", which should be edited out.

I noticed that you wrote that you have a DVD-ROM. If you are trying to use both DVD and CD at the same time, both can't be MSCD001.

That was just a typo with MSCDV, I was reading the files and typing.

I am not trying to run a DVD-ROM and a CD-ROM at the same time. I used the DVD-ROM to get stuff installed again since the ancient CD-ROM isn't working.

Looking at your network thread you've installed Windows 95 on the system. Thats probably got the driver already available. The last 486 I got had win95a installed and I just ran the Add new hardware program to get it functioning.

Last edited:
I had already tried that 56xdos driver from Panasonic. It searches for your Soundblaster 16 card, which it never finds....since that's not what I have.

I wish I had thought about your idea of the boot disk image before I spent a thousand hours solving the problem. There IS a recovery directory on the cd and it's full of disk images including a boot image. I bet it does exactly what you are saying and I might have to test that out. I extracted that boot image yesterday to get the cdromdos.sys file! Silly me never thought to try the actual image.....

For what I did to fix the problem:
- I already had the soundcard working
- I already had the cdromdos.sys and the lines in autoexec.bat and config.sys for MSCDEX

By random chance I looked at this c:\aria\aria.cfg that the soundcard uses when initializing. Down near the bottom it says CDROM=NONE!
Now I have no idea what should go out beside CDROM, so I tried the cdrom channel that is on the back on the cdrom, 0-4, mine was set to zero. That didn't work, said it wasnt a valid value.
So next I tried "310" which was what was in the config.sys /P:310. That DID IT!

So now I have the original cdrom in there working good along side the crotchety Aria sound card in both dos and windows.

Caluser2000:
Are you saying now that I'm in Win95 I could remove all of those lines pertaining to my soundcard and cdrom and it would all still work in Win95? It would be an easy test.

Worth a crack. You can revert back if you don't have any joy. You'll lose cdrom access if you have to drop out to Dos 7.x though.

FWIW generally on all my systems 486 or below with Dos I just go with IDE now, skipping proprietory interfaces altogether. Mainly because later cdrom drives can handle CDR/W cds. Not "authentic" for the period I know but it works and that's all I really care about.

Good to see you got things up and running btw.

Last edited:
Back