• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CF Extenders

Drken

Experienced Member
I posted a similiar post on www.Apple2Online.com and thought I would do the same here in case there is any interest.

With the popularity of the MicroDrives and CFFA3K cards, which allow you to use CompactFlash cards as drives, I'm wondering if there is any interest in CF Extender cables. I use both devices in my IIGS, which permanently has it's cover off so that I can access the CF slots. The USB port is no problem, as USB extender cables are abundant and cheap. But CF Extender cables are difficult to find and expensive when you do find them.

I found one company - ES&S in Germany - which makes the CF Extender cables but they only sell to other companies, not individuals. I have contacted them through my company and gotten a price on 200 mm (approx 8") cables. The cost of the cable + S&H would be about $80 USD. I'm thinking of ordering a few for myself, and thought I would put it out there that if anyone here or on A2OL would like to order any, I could combine their order with mine. Cavaet: I would need to receive your payment up front before I place the order, as these are expensive enough that I don't want to get stuck with more than I need. So, if you have a serious interest, contact me & let me know how many you would commit to. I haven't decided when I will place the order, and with the election coming up (I'm an election official here in VA) it probably won't be until sometime in late November or early December.

Ken
www.Apple2Online.com

Back when I used the MicroDrive, I would have loved this. I'm sure those still using it would agree. However, with the CFFA3K and USB extenders available for around $15, I no longer need it.

Off-topic: Don't forget to vote for Gary Johnson this election :)

Future CFFA3K firmware may allow for copying between USB and CF cards, so only one removable device (USB) need stay external.

Back