• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chancing His Arm With A Pdp-8/f?

bobaboba

Experienced Member
This advert on eBay! A bit of a chancer! Condition unknown and collection only in the U.K. but you apparently have to pay to import it too so who knows?

The key was advertised separately a couple of weeks ago IIRC.

Last edited:
Well, if he bought high and shipped that might account for the high asking price?

Not too sure about the description either - an 8-bit machine, therefore using octal not hex...

Dave

I assume its this one:-
very cheeky showing items not included. As for the price, you can always come down from an asking price but not go up if lots of interest.
I wonder what this one will fetch

Thanks. Well ... geez. Much more interested in seing the sales price later today on the BM08+8/L combination. The PDP-8/L was my first hands-on system (1972). We badly wanted a BM08 but were a poor-as-church-mice lab and did without until a few years later when I implemented a full 28Kw of 21L02-based SRAM and the accompanying controller in a home-grown expansion chassis.

The 8/L and BM08 auction has about 7 hours to go but the reserve price has not yet been met. It is currently at US$4050.
I agree that this much more interesting. I expect some mad last minute bidding resembling a "massacre". 😜

The 8/L and BM08 auction has about 7 hours to go but the reserve price has not yet been met. It is currently at US$4050.
I agree that this much more interesting. I expect some mad last minute bidding resembling a "massacre". 😜
Surprisingly there was no last minute bidding war on the 8/L+BM08 and the reserve price was not even reached.
The system has now been relisted with a "buy it now" price of $9500 and "Make and Offer" enabled.
I was surprised about the restraint of the bidders, but it shows a more realistic market valuation of $4150.

Agree with your estimate of market valuation. Apparently it wasn't as "iconic" as the seller hoped (and apparently still hopes). Maybe the current "rough ride" US stock market has put a damper on the availability of ready cash for a splurge? I'm guessing that it will get quietly sold for a bit more than the final bid, but it might take a while for the seller to get realistic in their expectations.

This advert on eBay! A bit of a chancer! Condition unknown and collection only in the U.K. but you apparently have to pay to import it too so who knows?

The key was advertised separately a couple of weeks ago IIRC.
So the asking price is slowly dropping but still much higher than it’s worth. I guess unsurprisingly there’s been no acceptable offers either.

Yikes. Asking $9460 (£8,100) for a PDP-8f system for parts and not known to be working. Not even full backplanes. Maybe time to list my fully working fully populated mint PDP-8m's ...

Back