• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Cheap ram needed

Unknown_K

Veteran Member
Looking for the following:

4mb 30 pin simms (4-8 pcs for some VLB cache controllers)

256 Kbit x 4 DRAM 20-pin dips (16 chips minimum 120ns or faster)

If you have any please let me know, might be able to work out a trade or just cash.

Re: Cheap ram needed

Unknown_K said:

If you have any please let me know, might be able to work out a trade or just cash.

What do you need the 256s for, if you don't mind my asking? Are you looking to populate an old (286 or 386) motherboard? If so, will it handle 1Mb drams? I've got some of them...(from the "junk box" again). I've got some 80-nanosecond (18), some 100-nano (31), and a few 120-nano (3). There's plenty enough to populate a 4Mb board, (a lot of older 386 boards went that high) and some spares left over. Anywho, lemme know if ya need them (or if ya want more details).

--T

Re: Cheap ram needed

Terry Yager said:
Unknown_K said:

What do you need the 256s for, if you don't mind my asking? Are you looking to populate an old (286 or 386) motherboard? If so, will it handle 1Mb drams? I've got some of them...(from the "junk box" again). I've got some 80-nanosecond (18), some 100-nano (31), and a few 120-nano (3). There's plenty enough to populate a 4Mb board, (a lot of older 386 boards went that high) and some spares left over. Anywho, lemme know if ya need them (or if ya want more details).

--T

I need them for my amiga 2091 scsi controller

http://www.amiga-hardware.com/a2091.html

"CMOS 256K x 4 DRAMs (44C256) rated at 120 ns or faster"

The only ram of that type I had was on 2 video cards and I stripped one to put 1mb on the other one (used in my 386/DX 40 with 32mb ram).

So those 1mb chips are the same 20 pin dip variety and would work on that scsi board but just as 256k?

Without the added memory the scsi card is DOG slow (runs like a 500mb floppy drive at the moment) and I need to find some ram to fix it.

My Amiga 2000 needs the extra ram for some games and demo's that wont work with just the 1mb on the mb.

Where are you located anyway? I am in Ohio/USA

Unknown_K said:
The only ram of that type I had was on 2 video cards and I stripped one to put 1mb on the other one (used in my 386/DX 40 with 32mb ram).

So those 1mb chips are the same 20 pin dip variety and would work on that scsi board but just as 256k?
Nope. I just double-checked, and the chips I have are regular 18-pin packages. Sorry, my bad...

--T

Unknown_K said:
Thanks anyway, will keep looking

When you mentioned video cards, that got me thinking, so I dug out my old ISA vid card (Trident 8900C) and sure enough, there's some chips like you need on it. I really don't wish to dis-able my only ISA vid card, cos I use it for bench-checking old systems. However, if you have another ISA vid card of equal specs to trade, and postage to send it, that could be arranged. The memory on the board are:

V53C104AP80 and the date code is 9223

There are 8 256 x 4 chips for a total of 1Mb.
BTW, I'm in Michigan, right next door to ya...

--T

I have a spare trident 256k vga isa card, and might have an ISA 1mb vga card with VRAM, will have to look.

Are the chips on your video cardd socketed or are they soldered onto the board?

Unknown_K said:
Are the chips on your video cardd socketed or are they soldered onto the board?

Oh, socketed, of course, I wouldn't expect you to de-solder that many chips (although I have been known to use a propane torch to remove large numbers of chips from otherwise junk boards). I got thinkin', that if ya wanted to save on postage you could send me a whole card and I could remove the chips and mail them to you alone. (The mailer will cost a dollar, and the actual postage will be less than another buck).

--T

It reminds me of a local second-hand PC store which recently opened here. The seller has put ISA and low-end PCI based video, sound and network cards all over the shelves and a flat rate, approximately $15 each. He also has some processors, Dell motherboards and complete PCs, but unfortunately is asking way too much for me to pick something up.

The funny thing is that he has a price list at the check-out counter, where it only says "VGA card $15". Some kids were in the shop while I was there, and asked eagerly what VGA card that would be (maybe some GeForce or Radeon??).

-"Any VGA card", he said.
-"But which card?" the kid pressed him.
-"I guess any card from the shelf", I said and he nodded.

Suddently the kids were not as interested anymore. Actually, a video card would probably be the only thing I would buy in that store, to have a spare one. One would have to look up which one is the better though.

No I didnt see it, must be new.

Still he wants more then $1 each for those plus shipping.

I want to get my hands on 16pcs for 2mb, so I can install it and never take the case off again.

Well unless my eyes have failed me I think I killed 2 birds with 1 stone. I won this ebay auction #4121513320 and 2 of the cards look like they have 8 256x4 dram (socketed) each. I also wanted the diamond viper vlb cards for my collection since they were one of the fastest vlb cards in windows at the time.

With $9 shipping this is cheaper then the other auction and should give me double the chips plus 6 fully functional video cards.

Unknown_K said:
Well unless my eyes have failed me I think I killed 2 birds with 1 stone. I won this ebay auction #4121513320 and 2 of the cards look like they have 8 256x4 dram (socketed) each. I also wanted the diamond viper vlb cards for my collection since they were one of the fastest vlb cards in windows at the time.

With $9 shipping this is cheaper then the other auction and should give me double the chips plus 6 fully functional video cards.

Must be yer lucky day. Here's the SIMMs you need, too. $10.00 (bin) + 4.00 shipping for 32Mb (less than $0.50 per Mb):

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dl...86&category=172&sspagename=STRK:MEBWA:IT&rd=1

--T

Will see if they sell, $5 sound better.
I can rip some out of my quadra 950 if I have too, its has over 100mb in 30 pin simms.

Ebay is great if you have the time to check it each day and can wait for a good deal.

Terry Yager said:
Yeah, but I usually go fr the buy it now, when available. (I never was very good at delaying gratification).

--T

I go for buy it now when I see a crazy deal that somebody just entered and will be gone in 5 minutes. I remember seeing a Nubus Jackhammer SCSI card 50/68 pin connection for $8.95 shipping included once and jumped on it. They usually go for alot more even on mac swap lists.

Without some self control ebay is not the place to shop. Unless its very rare another unit will show up in a month anyway.

The video cards came in today. I ripped the 16 socketed 256x4 ram chips and installed them into my Amiga 2000 SCSI card and all is well (sped up the system quite a bit).

Ebay does have its uses!

Back