• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chilton's Guide to Kaypro Repair and Maintenance

I haven't seen a pdf version of this. I'm pretty sure since it's Chilton which is a company still in business, even if someone scanned it, it's probably not available on the internet due to copyright issues. It's not like the actual kaypro manuals or so many other things out there where the company is out of business, I'm pretty sure that Chilton is monitoring the internet and sending out cease and desist letters for any of their manuals without even bothering to see if it's a current manual or not.

thats a shame, I have at least 6 chiltons auto repair manuals. I would definitley be interested in thier Kaypro repair book as well... PDF form or not.

I should ask my wife to do that for me! She is always going with my daughter and then returning books late with fees to my disapproval.

Same Here. I have combed the internet, used book sites, ebay, Amazon and lots of other corners.

Printed or PDF, If someone can locate this, lets share the wealth.

John-A

For someone who has donated and thrown out hundreds of books, an interlibrary loan can make a lot of sense. I just today picked up the 8088 Project Book. I will "scan" it, for my own purposes, can't markup a library book.l, but can copy and paste an electronic one all day long. And that's one less pile of dead wood I have to worry about. I still love books. But my days of hoarding are coming to a close.

And I used to own a copy of the above. Was donated or chucked. Ain't that some crap.

Hi Guys, After months of waiting, I scored a copy of Gene B Williams Chiltons for Kaypro via Abebooks. I'm embarrassed to say how much I sent on it.

It originated from the Madison Wisconsin Public Library.

I will look into a vendor for non-destructive scanning. If I get the PDF, I'll post back here with a report.

This book is a pretty priceless VCF treasure.

JA

What's funny is I totally forgot about this discussion... but I actually have one of these books now. I'm not even sure where or when I picked it up, but clearly it was sometime after the November post I last wrote. I think the person who gave me my first (un-repairable) kaypro eventually gave me this book. Even worse, after getting it, i never even bothered to open it up, i just keep moving it around as my retro bookshelf is full. :)

That said, I wouldn't know how to scan it either... i'm certainly not sitting at my copier for a few hours. :)

Hi Folks,

I took a step and contacted Haynes Publishing, the current copy write holder of the Chiltons series of manuals.

I inquired about permission to scan and distribute, before I made any grand plans.

This book is too awesome to keep to myself.

Let us keep our fingers crossed.

After 30 mins of flipping through the book, several things from my recent restorations would have been so much easier if I had this technical information.

JA

WOOT!, Ok guys. I think I can get a PDF created for under $40.

I will authorize cost-free, non-commercial distribution of copies on a limited basis among your community of vintage computer enthusiasts.

Best regards,

Mike Forsythe
VP Editorial
Haynes North America, Inc.

Back