• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Chromatics MX2500 2000x2000 monitor

inakito

Experienced Member
Hi,
the Chromatics MX2500, released on 1991, featured an impressive 2000x2000 pixels resolution, but, which was the graphics card intended to drive this monitor?. I have found an IEEE article about this monitor which talks vaguely about "several" cards able to manage this monitor. Do you remember any graphics card in 1991 able to output 2000x2000 pixels?

I wish I could help out, but I did have a Chromatics VME system years ago and the monitor was a beast. I still have a few parts, but most was scrapped or used for other purposes.

Attached is a photo of the front console that I still use to monitor traffic in and out of my router. I was able to interface the panel to a Teensy microcontroller.

Attachments

• IMG_20211101_111617.jpg
    IMG_20211101_111617.jpg
    107.3 KB · Views: 2
In the vanishingly few references to this monster that exist it's highly implied that the interface card was proprietary to it. (IE, it says that interface cards are available for MCA, VME, Turbochannel, etc.)

2000x2000 is indeed an awful lot for the time, but there were some proprietary systems that could come close to that. Two-page mono monitor setups intended for desktop publishing with resolutions north of 1600x1200 were around and I have vague memories of even higher densities being out there, so if you dug through enough old issues of PC Mag or MacWorld you might hit the jackpot. But again, in every case I'd suspect the monitor and the card would be a matched set. (Or you'd have a card that worked with a limited selection of compatible monitors.)

I own a CX2000 which seems to be the smaller version of the monitor to the one you might be referring to - The CX2500.
The interface is analog RGB+Sync at 1280x1024 so that's a pretty broad range of workstations in the mid to late 80's but 2000 x 2000 is pretty crazy even for the likes of Silicon Graphics at that time. I can't think of any products that would take advantage of a basic display output at that resolution. That's a resolution you start to see in film output devices.

Back