• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cider Press.

facattack

Veteran Member
I downloaded a software called "Cider Press" after reading a vague mention on a FAQ some time ago. It's supposed to be able to let you read/write old floppies from Apple II software onto a newer computer or to convert the data forks between Mac or PC. Or SOMETHING like that. My memory is pretty vague at this point.

You think it would be legit to archive the software I have onto CD-ROM along with this program so it could be read via emulation?

Yes. As long as you're not selling the CD its considered fair use.

OR, if you want to make money by selling the CD, it is my understanding that if you clearly state you are not selling the software, but instead the CD(to regain what you spent on it, and then some), and possibly your time and effort, it is OK to sell it. Just don't go to high on the price. No more than $5...Maybe $10.

--Ryan

^ Thats true too.

Not that ANYONE would go after you even if you did make profit from selling the disk... I mean how old is this software and the hardware required to run it? 20+ years?

I meant for personal use only. :D OR to make it easier to sell. Say someone wanted the software, but not the computer I'm selling. They can just buy the originals, get a free archive on CD-ROM included. :D

Selling CD-compilations of old software

Selling CD-compilations of old software

In regards to selling CD-compilations of old software, it's an area that can be fraught with controversy and can upset a number of people. If anyone is thinking of doing this, I would advise caution.

In the TRS-80 Model I/III/IV world, up until this year we had a great archive of software available for download from a TRS-80 site. The archive had been collected, compiled and catergorised by the owner of the site.

A while ago someone downloaded this whole collection, put it on a DVD and posted the DVD on e-bay, for sale to the highest bidder.

I don't know the ins and outs...whether it was because the owner of the site objected to the collection he had painstakingly collected and classified being sold for profit by another, or whether some of the software authors who had given permission for free downloads from the website objected to their work being sold in another form, or a combination of both these things or even something else entirely....

Whatever the reason. the point is that software archive has been pulled from the web and the TRS-80 world is the poorer for it.

Vintage software, although still under copyright, has no commercial value, and most authors (but not all) have no objection to sharing their work with retro-computing enthusiasts. However, some people may get upset if they see someone else making money from their efforts, be it as the original authors, or a compiler of a "collection" as such.

My advice is if sharing vintage software, don't do it for any kind of profit and give credit where credit's due. Technically it is still illegal. It's impossible to check with all authors to get the OK for distributing their work. I think it's reasonable to assume most won't have an issue with it. However, if an author does object, respect those objections and don't distribute their programs.

Okay, forget about the CD-ROM. I'll sell the software for the price of shipping and let some other schnook worry about getting it to work. ;)

Wow. Reading this I feared TVdog's archives had been pulled, but fortunately they're still there. So is Ira Goldklang's site. What was the site that was pulled ?

Some time ago the moderator of the Apple ll got in a snit and pulled his A-ll Faq. Rubywand rewrote it and it is still existent. I also had fortunately downloaded it before that happened.

Too often archived material dissappears before it has been backed up. Don Maislin's extensive extensive CPM collection, to my mind, is still unavailable. Fortunately Tim Olmstead's "Unofficial CPM Site" was mirrored by Gaby after Tim's death. Don't take it as a given that rarer stuff will always be available. The Rainbow 100 Home page was ressurected by Jeff Armstrong at my urging in 2003 after a hiatus of about 6 years. Not many DEC Rainbow users still out there but it was a remarkable machine with an 8086 as well as a Z-80 and ran both MSDOS and CP/M.

http://www.classiccmp.org/rainbow/

Heh. In visiting the archives I see Jeff has even added a MSDOS Windows installation translated for the Rainbow. He must have got it from the Finnish Rainbow archives. The files are dated 1987, don't know what version of DOS. Haven't got to trying it yet, and it will take some rime to get back into it again unfortunately. Cool !

Lawrence

In regards to selling CD-compilations of old software, it's an area that can be fraught with controversy and can upset a number of people. If anyone is thinking of doing this, I would advise caution.

In the TRS-80 Model I/III/IV world, up until this year we had a great archive of software available for download from a TRS-80 site. The archive had been collected, compiled and catergorised by the owner of the site.

A while ago someone downloaded this whole collection, put it on a DVD and posted the DVD on e-bay, for sale to the highest bidder.

I don't know the ins and outs...whether it was because the owner of the site objected to the collection he had painstakingly collected and classified being sold for profit by another, or whether some of the software authors who had given permission for free downloads from the website objected to their work being sold in another form, or a combination of both these things or even something else entirely....

Whatever the reason. the point is that software archive has been pulled from the web and the TRS-80 world is the poorer for it.

Vintage software, although still under copyright, has no commercial value, and most authors (but not all) have no objection to sharing their work with retro-computing enthusiasts. However, some people may get upset if they see someone else making money from their efforts, be it as the original authors, or a compiler of a "collection" as such.

My advice is if sharing vintage software, don't do it for any kind of profit and give credit where credit's due. Technically it is still illegal. It's impossible to check with all authors to get the OK for distributing their work. I think it's reasonable to assume most won't have an issue with it. However, if an author does object, respect those objections and don't distribute their programs.

Last edited:
Ira's site is still there, but there are no longer any programs available for download. Tim Mann's site is still around, but not much there either these days.

As for CP/M bootdisks, Dave Dunfield has been doing a pretty good job so far of re-creating the archive, with the assistance of all the other folks who were helped by Don. If you have any images that you got from him, please send 'em along to Dave for addition to the archive.

--T

Last edited:
The only TRS-80 box I had and still have is a Model II. I have some the CoCos and a Tandy 1000SX but that's it. It's been some time but I believe even my CM-5 has bit the bullet.

I don't find it so easy to jump from platform to platform any more. I might be experiencing "computer burn-out". I seem to spend more time just on keeping my W98s functioning properly than I ever did with my older computers, as well As exploring my new interest in Handhelds, sub-compacts and peripherals. I have a bunch of dissassembled older beasts also just waiting impatiently for me to finish and put on the sales-block.

Plus these quacks out here have me on some hi-blood pressure medicine that seems to work like librium (so I avoid overexertion). Hell I've always had hi BP. That's what's fueled me all these years. What's kept me fit and interested in life. If I needed to slow down I smoked a doobie. And then they urge me to get more exercise ! They've scared me into this but I need a second opinion or drug-change. These guys want to turn me into an "old person". A "straight" like them. I don't play Bingo or Golf. Better dead than lifeless!

Lawrence

Last edited:
Everybody has that problem when first starting on HBP medicine. Your body gets adapted to the high blood pressure and it takes weeks to re-adjust. My mom didn't like the results of taking the meds so she didn't take them. Then, one day, she passes out in the post office with a BP of 225. Scared her into taking the meds.

Too often archived material dissappears before it has been backed up.

Yes. Given the dynamic nature of the web it pays not to assume an archive that it there today, will be still be there in the future.

The irony is that furiously downloading just to get your own "local copy" (in case the archive disappears) is not a good idea either. It can be hard on the good folk who are hosting the site (normally from their own pocket) and have to pay for the bandwidth!

Yeah, MEA CULPA. I usually only do it tho in off hours as most of the european sites suggest. Site activity does encourage sponsors tho, and I figure it makes little difference to such as FUNET or other university sponsors.

To go off-topic for a moment: I've been thinking of posting some pics of my house and the surrounding snowbanks. The present temperature is -23C. It might give you and your fellow VCFers a cooling feeling in your sweltering abodes "Down Under". :^)) Altho snowfall and sub-zero temperatures there are likely only found on mountain-tops in your winter.
Could stimulate your imagination tho and temporarily transport you out of your climes.

Lawrence

Yes. Given the dynamic nature of the web it pays not to assume an archive that it there today, will be still be there in the future.

The irony is that furiously downloading just to get your own "local copy" (in case the archive disappears) is not a good idea either. It can be hard on the good folk who are hosting the site (normally from their own pocket) and have to pay for the bandwidth!

To go off-topic for a moment: I've been thinking of posting some pics of my house and the surrounding snowbanks. The present temperature is -23C. It might give you and your fellow VCFers a cooling feeling in your sweltering abodes "Down Under". :^)) Altho snowfall and sub-zero temperatures there are likely only found on mountain-tops in your winter.
Could stimulate your imagination tho and temporarily transport you out of your climes.

-23 deg C??? How can people live in such hostile environments?!!

Actually, after our months and months of warm summery weather it's now raining and cold (cold being about 14 deg C).

I'd be happy to see the pics. Best carry this thread over to the off-topic forum and post them there though, I guess.

I've been taking it almost a year now and am still not readjusted. Perhaps it's the ACE part which turns me into a drone and deprives me of that zest for life and initiative. I'm with your mom and looking for alternatives to being wedded to the pharmaceutical vultures for the rest of my diminished life. Hopefully only a readjustment of the meds is needed. If not, I'm looking for snake-oil. I knew too many people who remained vibrant well into their 90s.
This present malaise happened only when I started this drug regime. The Pharmaceutical corporations aren't so much above the Heroin dealers who realized they could make mucho$ by having someone dependent on their supply. "Too hell with their quality of life we've got them locked in"". As my druggist replied condecendingly to my question of how long the treatment would last, "you'll have to take this for the rest of your life".0000000

Capsicum peppers(cayenne), garlic, Lecithin for cholesterol, and exercise might defeat those parasites. We'll see. On the other hand maybe it's your body sign to say goodbye. But at least it would be a vibrant death.

Thanks Chuck for your empathy.

Hows that for going off-topic ? :^))
But is it ?

Lawrence

"Do not go gentle into that good night
Rage, Rage, against the dawning of the light."

Dylan Thomas

Everybody has that problem when first starting on HBP medicine. Your body gets adapted to the high blood pressure and it takes weeks to re-adjust. My mom didn't like the results of taking the meds so she didn't take them. Then, one day, she passes out in the post office with a BP of 225. Scared her into taking the meds.

Last edited:
Noted. One mustn't try the monitors patience overmuch. They have to deal with every kid that comes along, even some overage ones, who have overweaning egos and attitudes.

Soon come in the off-topic category. Pics. Enjoy the snow.

Can you imagine the remourse of your criminal ancestors who lived on the streets of cold, damp London, being exiled to a savage temporate climate with exotic fruits and free land ?

Poor blokes.

Lawrence

-23 deg C??? How can people live in such hostile environments?!!

Actually, after our months and months of warm summery weather it's now raining and cold (cold being about 14 deg C).

I'd be happy to see the pics. Best carry this thread over to the off-topic forum and post them there though, I guess.

Back