• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cogar C4 / ICL 1501/ Singer 1501

jdreesen

Experienced Member
Not sure if this is the correct category, but here it goes :

anybody knows if this early 70's, 74181 based, personal computer actually has a operating system ?
Or ist it all just application programs, booted directly from the cartridge tapes ?

In this case I would expect there to be utility tape with some programs to list directories, copy tapes etc etc
Anyone know of a surviving copy ?

With my ICL1501 I also got a Diablo 30 type drive, alas no interface. Does dis have to be a complete 1503 unit, or are there other ways of adressing the disk ?

Rams in these machines are 1k bit dynamic rams, not multiplexed, and needing separate level convertors to interface them...

Jos

Yeah in around 1972 my dad worked a deal out for a prototype Cogar 4. Singer wanted to use me in a commercial because if a 5 year old could turn it on, put a tape in and load a game, then anyone could.

"Uncle" Eddie Vincent talked about making some sort of rudimentary OS for it. I really don't remember any details, other than vague recollections of the Cogar ASM or whatever it was called. He is now gone. The main thing I remember was the description of "Adventure" he gave me, I believe telling me it was like the Lord of the Rings that my father had read to us at a younger age every night. There were other games, Snake, Hangman, F1 Racing, Vegas Slots, some others I really don't remember.

Sorry I can't be more help. I really can't imagine one of these thing surviving.

. I really can't imagine one of these thing surviving.

There are 4 specimen ( ICL & Singer, no Cogar ) in my household alone...But they are on the "to be tackled" list. The tapecartridges, of which i have plenty, invariable suffer from old age and break the second you want to use them.

But thanks for the story !

Jos

Back