• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Collector from South Africa

FaLcOn

I have been collecting for a couple of years. Mainly 8 bit computers and consoles from the 80's. I visit auctions on weekends to save these unwanted gems from the scrap pile. It is also a inexpensive hobby as nobody wants them. The only problem is the wife moaning about my machines taking up space. Also lots of books, tapes, cartriges, disks and expansion cards. I have more than one on some machines for swap.
Computers:
Sinclair ZX80, ZX81, Spectrum 16K, 48K, 128k and plus models. Spectravideo 318 and 328. Commodore Vic 20, 64, 128 and plus models.
TI 99 4a. Atari 600XL and 520ST. Apple Mac 512K. Acorn PowerPC.
Consoles:
Nintendo Nes, Snes and clones. Atari 2800. Phillips G7000. Odyssey with overlays. Intellivision. Sega Master, Mega 16bit and clones. Tedelex and clones. Some other weird and strange named consoles.

Was there a local computer industry in South Africa, just like many Eastern European and South American countries seem to have their own clones of popular systems? I'm thinking in terms of whether there was trading boycotts against South Africa so they had to produce their own.

There were sanctions against South Africa during the 80's and 90's. All this resulted in was a large pirating comunity to get the games into the country. So there was no shortage of software. On the console side I have a few systems that I cannot find any mention of through Google that were made locally. I am sure these were rip offs of overseas systems.

Once I have my garage sorted I will post a few photo's and descriptions.

cheers

speccy

speccy

oh yeah, that'd be cool if you've got some Spectrum clones. For some reason I loved all of the pirate specy clones that turned up in other markets. Russia in particular had some cool ones.

Back