• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Color graphics & sound for CP/M on Spectravideo?

KG7PFS

Experienced Member
Was there ever *any* support for color graphics or sound on generic CP/M+ or MP/M? I know there was some hardware specific software for Amstrad, Microbee, etc., but what about the Spectravideo 328?

Could the SV328 run MP/M?

Probably not, because most computers that primarily ran CP/M did not support color or sound, and most computers that supported color and sound did not run CP/M. And since graphics and sound capabilities varied so widely from one system to the next, you would have to custom-code it for each system, so you might as well just write the whole thing to use the system's native OS, rather than CP/M.

The Commodore 128 was one of the few systems with both good CP/M compatibility and good graphics and sound, but it came out in 1985, when CP/M was becoming increasingly obsolete and irrelevant.

Just a bit of curiosity here--the NEC APC ran CP/M-86 and was sold with a color graphics option. There were no CP/M graphics applications for that system?

The NEC APC had GraphPlan for CP/M-86 which supported graphics and multiple colors. Link to page showing advertisement demonstrating GraphPlan graphics in color. http://www.ricomputermuseum.org/Home/software-products-industry-history

For CP/M-80, multiple colors were supported by the Infocom game Leather Goddeses of Phobos in its MSX edition. Since the Spectravideo was almost an MSX system, there may be some MSX CP/M applications and games that could do color graphics on the Spectravideo.

I remember Dash Chang from years ago. Didn't know about Graph Plan, but since he was competing with the likes of SuperCalc and Multiplan, it figures. I think that I remember that his spreadsheet was called Microplan.

Can you tell me more about MSX CP/M? What applications were available for MSX but not standard CP/M? I can't believe how little information there is on the internet about this stuff.

Back