• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Combo Floppy and Hard disc controller

bettablue

Veteran Member
I was just wondering if there were any combination hard disc/floppy controllers that are/were compatible with the IBM 5150 and compatibles. I know there were some that were made for IBM 5170 AT and compatible 16 bit systems, but I haven't heard one way or the other if there ever was an 8 bit controller option.

Why am I asking? Well, first -off, this isn't for me, but a friend has a 5150 computer which he wants to upgrade. We have already swapped out the original 65 watt power supply for a PSU from a 5160. I've also gotten him an AST Six-Pack Plus and have it configured to provide all of the available port options. That leaves only one open expansion slot. My friend wants to keep the last expansion slot open for later installation of an 8 bit sound card, but for now, it has a floppy disc controller, hard disc controller, MDA graphics adapter, AST Six Pack, and it's daughter connector. Any other options and opinions will be greatly appreciated.

One other note. He, like me, wants the installation to be clean, without a connector hanging out of the rear of the computer for the parallel and game controller ports as allowed by the AST card. So just having the flat cable come through the rear of the case is not an option. I already asked.

As always... Thanks much.

I am not aware of any 8-bit FDD/HDD controller cards. But if one does exist someone here should know about it and come forward.

The Seagate ST-02 was an 8-bit SCSI controller which also supports 2 floppy drives. Other threads here indicate it won't work with CD-ROMs. ftp://ftp.seagate.com/pub/techsuppt/controllers/st01-02.txt

I think there were some other 8-bit SCSI controllers which also had floppy support. I do not know of any MFM/RLL/ESDI 8-bit controller with floppy. IDE plus floppy might have existed in 8-bit form but all the 8-bit IDE cards with multiple connectors I have seen only had 40-pin IDE connectors.

Edit: Misread Seagate document.

Last edited:
I am not aware of any 8-bit FDD/HDD controller cards.
The S.D.Systems Versa-Floppy-Winchester III in 1983 supported 4 floppies and 3 winchester drives (HDDs).

Last edited:
I used to sell Taiwanese XT clones in the early 1980's.

A minimum system was a Case, motherboard, single floppy, hard drive (usually an ST-225 20mb drive), a Multi I/O card that had Floppy, Parallel, Serial, and RTC, a Hard Disk Controller, and a video card (MGA or CGA).

There is a project that makes a modern 8-Bit Floppy Controller that supports 360k, 1.2mb, 780k, 1.44mb drives. And another that is 8-Bit XT HD controller. But, not one on one card. There is even a modern 8-Bit VGA card available.

Holy thread resurrection etc, but having had the exact same requirement here is what I found out just in case it help a Googler from the future...

8-Bit HDD/FDD combo cards:

Evorex EV-390
Longshine LCS-6220
RMT RMT2001-F2H2

Back