• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Combo Floppy Drive (5"1/4 & 3"1/2)

Semi-working, at the moment.

I have to find time to align the 5.25 section and, when I do, I'll post some pictures.

I believe I also have another combo drive or 2 down at the warehouse that I'll dig up when I get the chance.

Combo drives are not that inexpensive though.....

Customs forms, mostly--but also lack of recourse if the item is damaged or lost. The local USPS requires that al litems involving customs declarations be submitted at the service desk. So waiting in line. It's just not worth the trouble.

I believe that I've related the story of CCRA holding up urgently needed class materials for their own agents and not being able to locate them...

Of course, everything's different now, with CRA handling the customs end...right? :)

I've shipped everything from diskettes and hard drives to monitors internationally.

Customs forms, mostly....
The Customs forms take from less than two minutes to maybe five minutes -- depending on the size and weight of the package.

....but also lack of recourse if the item is damaged or lost.
In a word... insurance. And it's relatively inexpensive.

But why should I bother with the hassle at the post office, when I'm sure there's a ready US market for them? I've never seen postal insurance pay a claim. Basically, once the package is accepted at the port of entry, USPS washes their hands.

I've been paid by the USPS for damaged merchandise (pottery/earthenware) that was seemingly packed by an untrained :) monkey and arrived in pieces.

My postal experiences may be different than yours but there's never been any hassle either sending or receiving parcels. And I do nearly 100 pieces a year. :)

For my money the USPS gets an A+.

And that's over a ten-year period.

Dears I can safely say I have taken stock of many an item from the US ranging from a small chip to a overweight servers with no issues whatsoever.....

I've been paid by the USPS for damaged merchandise (pottery/earthenware) that was seemingly packed by an untrained :) monkey and arrived in pieces.

My postal experiences may be different than yours but there's never been any hassle either sending or receiving parcels. And I do nearly 100 pieces a year. :)

For my money the USPS gets an A+.

And that's over a ten-year period.

I have to agree with Stone on this. I've never had a problem with the Canada Post/USPS run to the US. Never a lost or damaged parcel and I've never had to file a claim.

It's the only method of shipping used on my site and we probably ship twice what Stone does in a year.

With couriers, we had about a 40% lost or damaged rate.

Customs is a quick form with the quantity, weight, what it is and what it's worth.

A couple of minutes more work than shipping domestically.

Yes, but you're in Canada. @tourloubouki is in Greece.

Tell you what--let a US buyer purchase from me and then sell it to the OP, handling shipping.

I've shipped to Greece before.

It's no different than shipping to England, Germany, Slovakia, Japan, Australia, Brazil, Chili, or even Canada, all of which I've shipped to.

Same paperwork regardless of the destination.

Yes, but you're in Canada. @tourloubouki is in Greece.

Tell you what--let a US buyer purchase from me and then sell it to the OP, handling shipping.

Chuck(G), of course you aren't required to sell anything to anyone, as you see fit and that's not the point. The point trying to be made is that the effort required to ship internationally, by post, is marginally greater than the effort to ship domestically.

Canada Post works about the same as USPS, but, we get charged more for it.

If I can get time to align the 5.25 portion of the unit and the OP likes my price, I will be more than happy to sell him the unit. Otherwise, since it will have been thoroughly tested, I'll just add it to my site.

I was ready to stand aside and have you sell him one of your NOS units as it would have been faster than waiting for me to repair and test the FD-505 I have.

I am looking to source a combo floppy drive. Something similar to the Epson SD-800 1.2/1.44 MB
Which drive don't you have the physical bay for?

It's quite easy to run a floppy or hard drive externally by sitting it on top of the case an extending the power and ribbon cables to reach it.

I did this for many years by using a power extension cable and this adapter to extend the ribbon cable outside the case.

attachment.php

P4200140.jpg

I was ready to stand aside and have you sell him one of your NOS units as it would have been faster than waiting for me to repair and test the FD-505 I have.
... Or for me to dig out one of my Canon MD5511s or MD7511s.
BTW, does anyone know what the difference is between those two, other than mechanical?

Go for it, Mike.

Your price will probably be better than mine and if your stuff works, then the OP will get it way sooner than I can get the time work on the alignment and it may turn out that it can't be aligned.

Actual shipping may take a LONG, LONG time though LMAO.

Go for it, Mike.
Actual shipping may take a LONG, LONG time though LMAO.
Indeed; I'd recommend that he deal with you... ;)

To go slightly OT: one of the items on my lengthy to-do list is to mod one of these drives to run the 3.5 at 360RPM so they can both be used to emulate an 8" drive. Turns out that one of these models has one motor that drives the 3.5 via a toothed belt, while the other one looks like it has two separate motors; I wonder how Teac and Epson etc. handled theirs.

Still on the hunt for a combo (3 1/2 & 5 1/4) drives. I am looking to install in a 5 1/4 external case.
Pictures and prices would be appreciated.....

Back