• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy

Maverick1978

Veteran Member
Just to exclaim my happiness and joy (since I've nowhere else to share it, and no one else that would really care!)

I managed to snag a NEW, shrinkwrapped copy of Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy (retail copy from Goodtimes Software) for $18.99 shipped this week. I won't say where (not an auction site/common store type), but MAN.... was I ecstatic! Especially since the description was less than forthcoming, as was the seller when I questioned them.

Fully expecting to receive a floppy, or at best, a boxed shareware copy of "Goodbye Galaxy: Episode 1," I was needless to say both surprised and delighted to see the full scale product (EGA/VGA version, not CGA)

Now, I'm at war with myself. The gamer in me wants to tear it open and peek at the insides, image the original floppy, 600dpi scan the box, floppy, and incidentals from every angle, and then fire up the 486 and play! The collector in me wants to keep it in the (mostly) pristine condition that it arrived in.

I say mostly because it was shipped in a manilla envelope with no padding. Thankfully, the only damage it received in shipping was where something impacted the left top edge about 3" down from the top-left corner. While I'm sure it affects the value, it didn't take away from the look of the cover, which I was thankful for.

Ultimately, this will go extremely well with my Invasion of the Vorticons registered floppy, which came directly from Apogee (a 0.99 ebay floppy lot find a little over 2 years ago), and my first and second edition Aliens Ate My Babysitter games. (sadly missing the Commander Keen LCD watch from the first edition game)

Maverick:

If you don't open that game package, how are ever really going to know, for sure, if it's really there or not? eh :eh:

It depends what you bought it for. If you like to display pristine packages for people to just look at then by all means put it on a pedestal for people to view and not touch. At least in your case this software is not incredibly rare. It can be found floating around almost anywhere. And if you wait long enough, you might even come across an opened box set so you can have both. Other people, like myself however, like to be able to see and touch the physical product, read the manual (yea, weird, I know), and in the case of rare software, try it out!

Oh, and a little hint, if you are going to scan the disk label, do it before putting the disk in a drive! Even small scratches can look like the grand canyon on a high resolution scan.

Also, keep in mind there are some wackos out there that re-shrinkwrap boxes.

you know, you have a legal copy you could just download it from a site such as betaarchive.. so you would never have to open it
Actually, I've had registered versions of it for years. And years. Like most of us, I think. I respect copyrights - in fact, I'm all for it! But there is a term limit to how long it should be able to stay up before it goes PD or needs re-upped, and that term is WAY too long for software. That said, I own the iD Anthology set which provides registered iD games up to and including the original Quake. So I'm vindicated, now twice over! - Even if it is about 10 years after the fact ;)

Maverick:

If you don't open that game package, how are ever really going to know, for sure, if it's really there or not? eh :eh:
My friend... you make quite the point! hehe

It depends what you bought it for. If you like to display pristine packages for people to just look at then by all means put it on a pedestal for people to view and not touch. At least in your case this software is not incredibly rare. It can be found floating around almost anywhere. And if you wait long enough, you might even come across an opened box set so you can have both. Other people, like myself however, like to be able to see and touch the physical product, read the manual (yea, weird, I know), and in the case of rare software, try it out!

Oh, and a little hint, if you are going to scan the disk label, do it before putting the disk in a drive! Even small scratches can look like the grand canyon on a high resolution scan.

Also, keep in mind there are some wackos out there that re-shrinkwrap boxes.
Thanks for the tips. Actually, I'm a bit of both the displayer and the collector. Usually, if I really want to keep something for intrinsic value, then I'll purchase a second "reader" copy (coined from what we call the comic books we handle vs the collector ones we save). And while registered versions of Keen aren't rare at all, the GoodTimes retail boxes for the two trilogies and even the Formgen Aliens retail copy most certainly are. The last boxed Goodbye Galaxy I saw on eBay went for a staggering $260+ USD, and it was opened, box half crushed, and mint contents.

I'm actually quite careful about any shrinkwrapped copies that I buy. This one does not appear to be a re-wrap. I bought the Jill Saga back in the day (passing over both Keen trilogies), and it was shrinked in the same manner. There's also zero wear moarks or bends in the openings of the box, such as would be suffered from even careful opening. This thing, surprisingly, is the real deal.

I bought the Jill Saga back in the day (passing over both Keen trilogies)

Jill Saga? .. Jill of the Jungle? Cool find though. I didn't know any of them were rare or hard to find although admittedly I'm sure which ones I bought or played as a kid. I definitely don't recall any being boxed though so it was probably a magazine buy or something for just the disks. Ditto the comments on shrinkwrap. It's too hard for me these days to know what's real and what's rewrapped. Lots of stores can wrap something if they want to, I don't know what drives them to when they do. The other argument you probably already know though is keeping it in sealed shrinkwrap and the wrap can shrink from the heat in the house over time and end up crushing the box anyway which I imagine you'd probably be more upset about that than a mint set that's opened but pristine.

You already own the game so you're good but if not you can apparently still buy the downloadable version from 3drealms.

The other argument you probably already know though is keeping it in sealed shrinkwrap and the wrap can shrink from the heat in the house over time and end up crushing the box anyway which I imagine you'd probably be more upset about that than a mint set that's opened but pristine.
Yeah... I've a sealed Sierra Ultima II Atari ST version that suffers from this - it's all crinkled on the back side, and sucked in slightly on the top. Sucks :(

Anyone play Captain Comic to the very end?
Honestly, no! I had the shareware version back in the day, and I found the controls difficult. I don't recall ever giving it a second try. I probably ought to, as it's certainly got a cult following these days.

One other game that I really liked was called Clyde's Adventure - anyone ever hear of it or play it? It was a nice platforming/puzzle game in that the whole level was itself a puzzle that needed to be solved in order to advance! It was a nice touch. Unfortunately, this also meant that it suffered from that "keep dying until you get it right" syndrome... still, it was a fun game then, and I still enjoy playing it now (and still get my butt kicked by several levels!)

Usually, if I really want to keep something for intrinsic value, then I'll purchase a second "reader" copy (coined from what we call the comic books we handle vs the collector ones we save).
Hey, do you have or collect any Psycho Killers comics by Zone Productions? They are from 1992 and 1993.

Here's a few:

chapman1.jpg dahmer1.jpg desalvo1.jpg gacy1.jpg manson1.jpg

Actually, I've never heard of them. Primarily, I collect superhero comics, mainly Marvel's, but also some of the DC standards. These days, I tend to collect cheap back-issues from the 80's more than anything, and I'm fast switching towards the digital collection rather than the physical collection. Just too much...

Now, I'm at war with myself. The gamer in me wants to tear it open and peek at the insides, image the original floppy, 600dpi scan the box, floppy, and incidentals from every angle, and then fire up the 486 and play! The collector in me wants to keep it in the (mostly) pristine condition that it arrived in.

I certainly feel your pain here, but I have to say that I don't think I could bring myself to open it. It's true that if I were you I would love to tear open the package (get that 'new game' smell) and be the first to manhandle all of its pristine contents and experience all the things that someone who bought the game 20 years ago would have felt. But you can never undo that.. And you may regret it shortly thereafter. Maybe you could find another copy one day as someone suggested, or find information/pictures on a copy that someone else unboxed some time ago. And who knows - it may just a be a floppy in that box and nothing else! That would be disappointing.

Could you still post some pictures of the sealed box? I'd definitely like to take a look at that =)

Just to exclaim my happiness and joy (since I've nowhere else to share it, and no one else that would really care!)

I managed to snag a NEW, shrinkwrapped copy of Commander Keen: Goodbye Galaxy (retail copy from Goodtimes Software) for $18.99 shipped this week. I won't say where (not an auction site/common store type), but MAN.... was I ecstatic! Especially since the description was less than forthcoming, as was the seller when I questioned them.

That place you purchased it from sounds suspiciously like the place I've been getting my sealed PC games from in the past year or so. :D

Good going! Don't worry from a fellow PC games collector I completely understand the excitement in getting an vintage game in factory sealed condition!

I loved the Commander Keens series and eventually I'll get around to collecting them but I've got so many other great games on my list it's hard to decide which to get next! And yes, post pics!

Nice find! I'd definitely keep it sealed. I know you have the registered version already, but for others, Steam has the commander keen pack (Episodes 1-5) for $4.99.

Wow, that's very nice.

I also bought Commander Keen Episode 4-5 from Apogee. (Fax order) in 1996.
Version must be 1.4 (Both 3.5" and 5.25" format).
(Support CGA, EGA/VGA)

I got one of these last year, though mine cost a lot more than I would have liked.

It will never be opened...

Just noticed this thread has been necroposted, meh, I didn't do it, so I don't care.

My final notes are that among my many observations of this "community", one of them is that I think few people read the collections sub-forum.

Back