• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commander Keen: Keen Dreams (on eBay)

Wasnt this the version most people dont like? Was it made by a 3rd party I think? Had to do with vegetables? Why would someone pay that much for it? I can see by the photo its shrink wrapped but at this point I never trust anyting shrink wrapped. I buy plenty of things off ebay that come packed that way. ITs pretty easy for someone to do at home.

Regardless, that is a surprising high price. Good for the seller I guess.

Gotta be honest, a price like that suggests wash trading or some other not-at-arm’s length pump scheme. The winning bidder’s history shows a huge amount of activity in both vintage video game and sports card collectibles, and five minutes of digging will open your eyes wide about just how corrupt these markets are right now. (Some of the biggest scumbags in the vintage video game field right now are here because they actually got too toxic for the trading card scene, forcing them to diversify.)

If anyone actually believes a shrink wrapped copy of that terrible game is really worth $6,400 please hit me up, I might have an NFT of the Brooklyn Bridge you might also like. (I’ll be happy to throw a totally-looks-like-a-first-edition Charizard card and a procedurally assembled picture of a monkey in with it.)

Never seen a boxed copy of this before, just the regular shrink wrapped cd version and mailed floppies.

I'm pretty sure I saw a boxed copy on ebay last year, I think it went for $150-200 but it wasn't sealed. Popular "big box" games are getting pricey (especially id/apogee), but $6400 is absurd.

I understand why people collect these old games. Same reason people collect game cartridges. I have plenty of cartridges. I always had a problem with things that are intangible and spending money on them. I didnt have money and pirated when I was a kid. When I had money I did buy games. Now things are not released in boxes anymore. Either way, I have no inclination to spend money on software boxes. I am happy to sell the desirable ones I come across; at the end of the day I am happy to download an online copy of these old things.

The box's computer requirements are highly suspect. I can't imagine softdisk getting that wrong.

I wanted to track down if gt interactive did make a big box version of it. And went over to moby games, guess what they did, and there are snapshots of the box. Guess who submitted the box pics?

The ebay box, is well, weird.

Done here this type of shareware never boxed . They came came in plastic envelopes with 3.5" and 5.25". Later on in CD
compilations.

Never ever in sealed boxes.

IMG_20220810_134245_hdr.jpgIMG_20220810_134746_hdr.jpg

Who am I to say what someone can do on online auctions rwt any items on sale belonging to them ah?

I hope they get a good sale and the buyer, in there own opinon are happy with paying the winning price.

I've been waiting around 6 months for a seller to drop the price on an ISA AM/FM radio card. Nearly there, but I might pay a wee bit more than I prefer. <May have it this week, who the fuck knows....

Last edited:
Oh and my MS Windows 3.00 box is still factory sealed. Apparently I'm not ment to own it as ti clearly states on the top of the box "For distribution in the United States of America ONLY" No idea how the fuck I got it.

Shivers also have many original sealed retailed copies of PCDos 5.02, PCdos 6.3, OEM bundles of various MS Dos 6.x versions plus Wfw 3.11 and plenty more like WfW 3.11 upgrade. I don't know if it is collectable/desirable and to be quite honest don't care. That's part of the hobby having fun mucking around with the stuff. Hardware and software.It was important period of my life.

Attachments

• IMG_20220810_163656_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220810_163656_hdr.jpg
    707.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_20220810_163912_hdr.jpg
    IMG_20220810_163912_hdr.jpg
    712.3 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Whooaa. I missed this auction. Going at that price, I'm very glad I did though :p

Back