• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 128 and 80 Colums

I have yet to see any modern VGA monitor that could properly display NTSC type resolutions.

Glad to you hear you found a solution that suits you. I am unsure why not just use a 1084 with two cables as described above, but getting a 1084 with shipping could cost $200. Might be worth it in the long run if you use it a lot. You get everything a c-128 can offer in one monitor with the 1084.

Thanks for your comments Bill. I will see if I can find a 1084 monitor. It's just harder to find a place to put a CRT, and to find someone to fix it when necessary.

I may try the above VGA solution - not decided yet, and now even more undecided since you posted about the 1084 monitor. The above VGA solution - brought up by AdamAnt316 - is under $100 - give or take. To find a GOOD 1084 may be slim to known????

I'm not exactly looking for high resolution just 80 columns without having to buy a CRT. Not saying CRTs are not good; just wanting a cheap TV/VGA monitor that I can just THROW out when it breaks. CRTs are not that simple, well at least for me a non-CRT repair tech. Not trying to get 1600 x 900; just maybe 640 x 480 on a TV/VGA (inexpensive) LCD monitor. If I try the above VGA solution I'll let others know about it.

High resolution is not the issue. Mismatched resolution is.

There didn't really exist a standard resolution on NTSC or PAL systems. The reason is that CRTs are very forgiving, because they are more analog.

Monochrome CRTs are truly analog, horizontally. You can successfully display any resolution until you run out of video amplifier bandwidth.

Colour CRTs are almost so. The reason is that if a pixel doesn't precisely line up with a phosphor group, it will bleed into the next or previous.

Truly digital displays like LCD cannot do that. If a pixel misses a pixel location, it disappears. Pixels that span multiple or fractions of pixel locations are hit or miss. That is, if an image pixel takes the space of 3.8 LCD pixels, you sometimes get 3, sometimes 4 pixels. Where this becomes very problematic is when you have image pixels that almost line up with LCD pixels. If it's 0.8 to 1, sometimes you get a pixel, sometimes you don't.

Systems designed for analogue television displays or the likes almost always have problems with LCD "SD" TVs.

This may or not be a serious problem with your particular hardware, and either way may not be serious enough to bother you. I have a few setups where for the application, it just doesn't matter. I have others, where it's just intolerable for my purposes.

I saw a number of 1084s on Ebay recently, less tHan 100 bucks...but I get it and understand why vga is appealing. You might get away with a non cbm display like a
magnavox or Tandy of the same period. Hope you find something useful

Back