• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 2040 - No Green PowerLED

TomL_12953

Experienced Member
I have an old 2040 Dual Disk Drive and it seems to work but the power LED never turns green. If there's an error, it does turn red but it's never on when it's supposed to be green. I took a known good power/error LED from an 8050 drive and confirmed that there's no power to the terminals when the LED is supposed to be green only when it's supposed to be red. What might cause this? Is there an easy fix?

TIA
Tom Lake

The schematic for the 2040 on the zimmers ftp does not show a power connection for this LED--it's just hooked to the output of a 7406+470 ohm, thence to +5.

You could modify things a bit to use a 3-pin bi-color LED fairly easily.

My error light never turns green either. I don't think this feature is in the model 2040.
Right; the 8x50 drives have a bipolar LED and an extra inverter to drive it.

The error light's easy to miss so I came up with a small plug-in board with a piezo beeper, figuring I'd make my fortune; still have one or two as souvenirs of another failed idea... ;-)

Beeper! I don't need no stinkin' beeper! When I get a read error in my 2040, there is so much extra clanking sounds, I know something's wrong. :)
Well, *I* never bothered with those inferior low-capacity 2040s myself, just the superior smooth-as-silk quiet-as-a-churchmouse 8050s ;-)

Mind you, when the 200 lb. Centronics 101 beside it was printing you couldn't hear anything else...

Can you believe $2500 just for a dual floppy drive? Ah, the 'good old days' (when I could afford that stuff)...

Last edited:
Out of all the 3040/4040 and also 8050/8250 drives I've seen in the past few years, quite a number of them don't have a ready light, just lighting up on activity or error. Some not even on activity. I suppose that is the way it is meant to be, given schematics.

Thanks to all who replied! I feel much better now. I misinterpreted the manual. It says, "On the 2040, 3040 and 4040 the middle LED is activated if power is applied or removed, and whenever an error occurs." Sure enough, it DOES flash when I turn it on or off. I read it to mean it stayed on as long as the power was on. 8^)

Back