• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore 65!

Seen it the other day, looked interesting. Did Commodore make their prototypes in Hong Kong instead of locally (looking at the case sticker)?

The same guy recently sold another C65 for 5500 euro! So $5000 almost seems cheap :sneaky:

I'd love to have one of those, but not for that kind of money :(

It's probably a late prototype or something like that. That would explain the Hong Kong-sticker I think. But Commodore had a lot of their manufacturing in Hong Kong anyway so...

Most of the Commodore prototypes I've seen are made of that cheap rubbery plastic (pretty much good enough to take it around to some trade shows, but not good enough to be used as a computer). Not sure but if anyone's interested you could ask him if it's like that. Yeah it'd be tempting but I'm also not sure bout that price heh. Guess it'd be a good investment given the female guidance units don't get ahold of it and consider it useless.

- John

Guess it'd be a good investment given the female guidance units don't get ahold of it and consider it useless.

depends on how much control you have over those female guidance units ;)

a good rule to implement is "you dont touch my stuff as long as i dont touch your stuff".

I remember reading about those in Commodore Format magazine! Would love one but I don't think I can spare quite that amount of cash :(

BG

Not sure what you could use it for other then mentioning it ever chance you got to other commodore freaks.

That might be the best use for it :)

But if I had one, I'd write programs for it and try out the features that makes it different from the C64.

Exactly. So us collectors/restorers/enthusiasts have been upgraded from "geeks" to "freaks" then :rastarolleye:

:boom:

BG

Yes, let's see. how would it go?

"Hey, I just spend 5 grand on something I can't do a damn thing with other than play some games. The thing was so bad, it didn't even go into production"

Yup, it'd have me ROTFLMAO

It's the difference between people who collect just to have an example of something that's rare for the sake of it, that separates those of us who collect something we can still use and enjoy ;)

Seeing the number of people on here who still use and enjoy the older computers says it all.

BG

It's the difference between people who collect just to have an example of something that's rare for the sake of it, that separates those of us who collect something we can still use and enjoy ;)

Seeing the number of people on here who still use and enjoy the older computers says it all.

BG

I believe some of those 'collectors' are really investors, hoping to hang onto it for a few years, then quadruple their money when they resell it. Must be nice to be young/healthy enough to still have a reasonable expectation of enough lifespan still left to see one's investments mature. Myself, I've already spent my kids' inheritance (mostly on women, booze & gambling...the rest I just pissed away).

--T

Last edited:
None of the major ways to make money or legal, holding onto a C65 for ten years will not make you very rich.

I have a few items worth 100's maybe, only reason I have them is because I got them for nothing and they enhance my use of the machine they are in. Most of my collection is common, and that is because the common stuff if what you get the most use out of. If you collect games, the rare ones (other then ones never released) are the ones that sucked so bad nobody bothered to buy them to play in the 1st place.

I just spend 5 grand on something I can't do a damn thing with other than play some games.
I'm not even sure there exists any Commodore 65 games, possibly a few home made ones. As for its ability to emulate a Commodore 64, I believe it is sketchy and would cause you quite some grief trying. I could be wrong though, and the C64 mode runs flawless.

I'm not even sure there exists any Commodore 65 games, possibly a few home made ones. As for its ability to emulate a Commodore 64, I believe it is sketchy and would cause you quite some grief trying. I could be wrong though, and the C64 mode runs flawless.

You are not wrong.
The C64 mode on a C65 sucks big time, it's unusable for a lot of C64 games.
The C65 on ebay sold for a whopping $9100 !!

Suddenly the other Commodore 65 rumoured to have been sold privately for 5500 EUR seems like a bargain. :roll: Absolutely insane if you ask me, but then again I'm not a die-hard collector.

Back