• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore Pet 2001-8 Question

dondi

Experienced Member
Does anyone know the thread size and style of the lid (hood) lockdown screws?

Thanks,

Don

Yes, the screws are 3/16" UNF, and about 3/8" long.

One oddball curio is that this diameter and thread pitch is practically identical to the English thread 2BA. Both these screws work fine for the PET. You won't find many BA thread screws in North America very often, but they are ubiquitous in the UK in vintage electronic apparatus.

For my PET I made Thumb screws for the case, out of 2BA Terminal screws, that are available from RS components in the UK & Mexico and Allied in the USA. (since the threads & diameter were so close) This is handy as it means I don't have to reach for a screwdriver if I want to lift the lid on the PET.

Attachments

• Thumb.jpg
    Thumb.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 0
Thank you! Were the originals slotted or Philips?
They are also the same screws that retain the rear metal panel on the VDU, for the 9" metal cased VDU's, the ones on my PET were Philips, but I'm not sure if they were original or not.

At least these screws are standard. You should try to get the hood retaining screws (thumb nuts) for a SOL-20 computer. They have a very unusual coarse thread and are as rare as Rocking Horse manure.

Last edited:
For furure reference, I can confirm that these screws are 10-32 x 3/8" pan head Phillips.

Back