• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET 2001-8 stuck on garbled screen

Ok after a week's break I am back.
Pet is still reporting 8k of ram after multiple tape loads and power cycles from J5.
So looks like that problem with not showing 8k of ram is over for now.
I have not tested the 18 rams as I didn't want to disturb the 8k ram module as it is stiff to remove. Maybe one day I will out of curiosity but as I mentioned before they were all showing a checker board aprt from two when I tested them in the left video ram socket and I am just happy that it is working.
I have bought a full set of basic 3 eproms, I like them.
So this pet is running without the Tynemouth board now.
One thing I have noticed is space Invaders 4.0 that I have does not run under basic 3, or is that incorrect?

My next problem to solve is the tape port on the back. J3.
When I turn on the pet the tape motor does not run for a moment like it should do on J3.
When I type load and press play it runs but the word "searching" does not appear on the screen.
The via 6522 is confirmed working.

And one annoyance is the keyboard wires keep breaking from opening and closing the pet.
I noticed on the Vic 20 and the 64 that a piece of tape was stuck over the cables to help prevent cable strain. Or even better an edge connector like on later model pets.
The cables on my pet are very stiff and seem to be corroded as they don't take to soldering very well even with flux added.
Has anyone else had this problem and a solution.
I am thinking of adding new cables that are more flexible as extensions and taping them down.

Attachments

• DSC_2129.JPG
    DSC_2129.JPG
    2.6 MB · Views: 8
I am going to state the obvious here... but are you entering the command LOAD "DAVE",2 if trying to use the second (external port)...

Depending upon how the software programmer wrote their programs - will depend upon whether they are "locked" to a particular version of BASIC or not. Your Invaders program may suffer from this issue?

Regarding your 8K - leave well alone for now...

Dave

I am going to state the obvious here... but are you entering the command LOAD "DAVE",2 if trying to use the second (external port)...

Depending upon how the software programmer wrote their programs - will depend upon whether they are "locked" to a particular version of BASIC or not. Your Invaders program may suffer from this issue?

Regarding your 8K - leave well alone for now...

Dave
Oh yes I forgot about adding ,2 🙄 and it is now loading from that tape port.
Thanks so much for all your help and patience.
And to everyone else here. Without it I could not have done it alone.
So pleased we could get this pet working as it has had a hard life.😊
Just need to sort these keyboard cables out now.

>>> and it is now loading from that tape port.

I like fixes like that. No components were harmed in the fixing of this 'fault'...

>>> Thanks so much for all your help and patience.

You're welcome.

Dave

Back