• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore pet 4032 external cassette drive no power

Traindriver69

Hi all
I have just fixed a commodore pet 4032 with no picture with the help of a previous post on here but would now like to run some software.
I have got hold of a c64 cassette drive which I have tested on my commodore 128 computer but on the pet it is completely dead.
I type in load and it says press play but nothing happens I have cleaned the pets socket with no effect anyone any ideas what could be wrong.
Many Thanks

The computer provides the power for the motor which is separate from the 5v for the logic circuits.
If it works fine on the C64 and C128, then the PET must not be providing power or not sensing that you pressed a key.

My first guess would be a bad 6520. Cassette #1 is controlled by the 6520 at B12.
Try swapping the two 6520s at B12 and B15. The one at B15 is only used for the IEEE port so it should run fine without it unless you need to connect a disk drive.

Another thing to check is if you are getting the voltages at the edge connector. if you have a multimeter this should be simple enough, at least that way you can make sure if it isn't an issue on the board. I am not sure what you had to do to fix the 4032 itself, but I have seen corroded traces ruin a connector on a C64 before that was thankfully able to be fixed with a simple jumper wire

Please note that this thread is a “double-post”.

The other thread has much more detail in it...

Dave

Back