• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET 8050 FDD problem

ppieczul

Experienced Member
Hi,

I continue my adventure with PET 3032 and now it is time to get 8050 drive working.
I finally got a cable, connected it and bought some old but new and never used DD floppies. The drive seems to initialize correctly - it ends up with center green led on.

I tried formatting the disk and got of course into a following problem:

• the drive spins up, the head moves several times a tiny bit in both directions, then it moves all the way out to the edge, motor buzzes, head moves to around a center, stops and center led goes red.
  • the error code read after that is 20 - read error
  • this behavior happens also without a disk (shouldn't it detect there is no disk and do nothing? disk presence switch works fine, as it spins for a while after inserting a disk)
  • this behavior is the same on both drives
I recorded a video of this. Please help me diagnose this problem. Thanks.
Pawel

Hi,
first of all try to get the complete error, it should be error code (20), error text, track and sector. T,S part is important when a format fails.
There's no "disk presence" sensor. The spindle start momentarily when it senses a change in the write protect sensor. It can't tell if you inserted a disk or removed one.

The command you use for formatting is wrong: it should be "N0:LABEL,ID", not :ID, with the second : it just tries to rename an already formatted disk (and yours isn't formatted).
Frank IZ8DWF

Ahhh, I was looking for so long at the user manual and my mind just replaced this comma with a semicolon.
It did the trick indeed, the disk formatted and is readable.
Thanks a lot for your help, I feel ashamed for such a stupid error on my side.

Ahhh, I was looking for so long at the user manual and my mind just replaced this comma with a semicolon.
It did the trick indeed, the disk formatted and is readable.
Thanks a lot for your help, I feel ashamed for such a stupid error on my side.

I'm glad it was so easy. The most important thing is having "fixed" the problem, not really how you fixed rait ;)

Best regards
Frank

Back