• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore PET Question

Thanks Dave, any help with the software greatly appreciated. I'm not even sure yet what existing software is out there for it.

The first thing I will do when I get it is to create a service manual and reconditioning protocol for the VDU. I'll also design a small mod board (which will contain a few transistors) which will drop in there with no significant mods to the original hardware, which will gift the VDU with an independent H scan oscillator, making it immune from destruction from abnormal drive signals and also make it possible to test and verify the VDU function, independently of the computer.

Thank you Ruud for that SD2PET suggestion, I will get one.

There are tons of software available for the PET...

Hopefully, the software will prove to be less taxing than the AIM-65 disk interface :) was!

Dave

Yes, Thanks kindly Verault, I got reminded of Ruud's posted after he posted again, I should have said thanks to you too, my slip up !

I have a disk emulator that only needs an Arduino Mega 2560 a PCB and a IEEE-488 connector to make it work :)

No fancy IEEE drivers needed.

I'm thinking of buying a PET.

I have seen one where the front of the case says 3008, but the rear sticker says 2001-8 BS.

Three questions:

1) Why would it be that those model numbers are different or is that normal ?

2) Also I cannot see a DIN connector on the rear panel for a 1541 disk drive, is that because this model is too old to support that drive or is an adapter pcb required ?

3) If it cannot interface with the 1541 disk drive, what would be the first PET model that did and had the DIN connector ?

Thank you for any advice on PETs.
BS after the model number indicates it was made for the UK (240V)
Though that model number was (I think) only used on the chicklet pets with built in tape drive.
3000 series is the same as the 2001-N series (Europe vs North America)
So a 3008 should be the same and a 2001-8N
The N indicates the full size graphics keyboard. A 2001-xB would be the business keyboard.

None of the PETs had a DIN connector and none can talk with a 1541. The PET used IEEE-488 or "GPIB" to connect to floppy disk drives.

If you're looking to buy a chicklet type PET, you can get my registry to see if it's in there and maybe get some history about it.

Hugo, congrats and I saw this too late. You could have had one of my two :) I only want to keep one after fixes. They are 32k too and you could leverage your CRT wizardry. Well, I do recommend the sd2pet as well or the fully authentic tape experience. Have fun!

Back