• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Commodore plus/4

dreddnott

Experienced Member
A gold star to whoever can tell me the most about this system before 3:30 P.M. PST (I'm pretty busy today).

We had one come in today, new in the box mint condition blah blah blah.

This just in: found a 1541 floppy disk drive as well, new in box w/price tag ($219.99). Looks like they were bought at the same time. It's still wrapped in plastic and has the 1541 demo diskette.

I already have a 1541 drive at home but it is definitely in used condition.

Looks like I have to amend the list again: just went down and there was a Fortronics Computer Cassette (aka VIC-20/VIC-64 tape drive), also new in box. It's all there inside.

Although the Plus/4 was typically bundled with the (more fragile?!) 1551 drive. The 1541 works though. I don't know what you want to know, the expected sale price, a rarity rating, a bit of history, compatibility with other systems etc?

Dunno about the 3rd party tape recorder. There were a number of producers who made those, and even new in box, they don't bring in much money (perhaps $10-20) in my humble opinion. I could be wrong though, if there is a particular brand that some people find collectable.

I'm not particularly excited about the cassette drive - I have an authentic Commodore Datasette NIB in my home collection (you can see pics in my gallery).

Just before we left the guys pulled up ANOTHER new-in-box 1541 disk drive. That was it, and I was about to post regarding it when the power was suddenly cut at the last minute (somebody pulled the power plug that ran the upstairs computers).

The irony of it all is that I have five or six working, fully charged APC UPS battery devices under my desk - none of them plugged in to anything! The quantity and quality of the UPS devices I get in could keep the entire warehouse running for a few hours.

Oh, well...

Assuming all those NIB items come from the same source, e.g. an estate from the deceased owner of a former computer store (business closed in 1991, remaining items stored in garage since then) it is too bad if the relatives tossed away everything to recycling rather than look around if there was some value. With a bit of eBay hassle they could at least make $150-200 in total (counting moderately low), perhaps even more depending on how many remaining items there were. If they found e.g. a model railway new in box, they probably wouldn't throw it away without looking up if it held any value. Ditto if it had been some cabbage dolls or Star Wars action figures.

Back