• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Compact Dot Matrix Printer

Jibbajaba

Experienced Member
I am looking for an Okidata Microline 182 dot matrix printer to hook up to my DOS machine. The printer should be in excellent condition, with no major yellowing. I am willing to pay fair market price, and am not looking for a freebie.

Thanks,

Chris

Last edited:
I don't have one for you now, but I've seen a number of small printers for making labels. Roughly 4" wide by 6" high made to take rolls of labels. There must be some of those left out there somewhere.

Wierd Stuff Warehouse

Wierd Stuff Warehouse

Don't know if OP ever makes it over to Mountainview, but if you don, you might try the Weird Stuff Warehouse.
patscc

Last year, I recycled a nice Mannesmann Tally printer (used an 8088 inside), but didn't think that anyone was interested in old printers.

Only today, I finally found someone to take my Diablo Hytype II. I've been trying to give it away for a couple of years now.

I wonder how hard it would be to hack a PC interface to one of the common CBM printers, like an MPS801?

I don't have one for you now, but I've seen a number of small printers for making labels. Roughly 4" wide by 6" high made to take rolls of labels. There must be some of those left out there somewhere.

Sorry, maybe I was unclear. I am not looking for some sort of mini-printer. I want to print on normal 8.5x11 paper (line feed, obviously). I just want the printer to be as small as possible.

Chris

Does it have to be dot matrix/impact, or will inkjet do? I'm pretty sure I've got an extra Kodak around here somewhere (the mech is the same as the HP ThinkJet, and carts for it are still available (~$12.00)). It's very compact, and even runs on off-the-shelf C cells.

--T

Someone gave me an impact printer that was the size of a small inkjet back in the mid-90s. I either gave it away or threw it away, I can't remember which. I wish I could at least remember the name, but it was some off-name brand that produced 1~2 printers in its existence.

I gave away my Okidata Microline 93 probably 25 years ago. Can't say I miss the racket!
Yeah, but if you still had it I bet it'd still be printing like the day it was made. Built like the proverbial tank, but not exactly quiet, light, or small for that matter; wasn't the 93 a wide carriage?

I think the ml80 was one of the small ones IIRC.

But like I (and T) said, there's a better chance of finding a small inkjet and they're so much quieter. Kodak, Canon BJ-10, HP 320, etc.

Define 'compact' ? Does a normal sized (not wide) IBM Proprinter count?

Mike

You ain't lived until you've used a Diablo 1250 dot-matrix printer. A heavy screaming monster.

I think it used a couple of Rockwell PPS-4 micros internally.

I was remembering our beloved Diablo 630 last night. The warm clack-clack-clack as those print wheel dealie-bobs bounce off the paper at 30 cps.

Have you tried posting a WANTED ad on freecycle? That's how I end up getting my dot matrix...

Dot matrix my ass! There's nothing like the clatter of a high-speed daisy wheel.--T

Dunno Terry, ever hear the scream of a Diablo 1355 dot-matrix printer going full bore? It'll make you wish you didn't have ears. Not as bad as a high speed train line printer with the lid open, but pretty close.

Back