• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq 101709 won't boot

Schuyler

I am VERY new to vintage PCs. I have experience only with newer desktops. However, I've plugged in a recently acquired Compaq 101709, and nothing happens. (and yes, the power switch is on ;)) Any suggestions on where I should go from here? Not sure if it means anything, but there are TWO 5.25" drives on the front.

Thanks for helping a noob,
Schuyler

That 10179 sounds like a serial number, not a model number. There are many models of Compaq systems, but is this something like your system?

Most often, on systems this old, it's not uncommon for the power supply to have issues. But you should first check the fuse on the system before tearing into it.

Nope, it's a standard computer plug. But now that I've actually paid close attention to it, it looks like a rat has bitten the wire, and some of it is exposed. I wouldn't think that would keep it from working completely, but when I am back home tomorrow I will try a new cable.

I wasn't talking about the power cord, but the part on the back of the computer that the cord plugs into. Sometimes there were little panels that came off and one held the actual fuse and another held a spare fuse.

I can't remember if the Compaq "portable" systems did this or not. I've looked at a LOT of computers over the last almost 40 years.

I have the same system and Druid is right. Where the power plug plugs in there should be a small panel that can be opened using your thumbnail or a screwdriver. It should just pop right out with the fuse inside a small holder.

Ah, found it. However, it blew the spare the second I cut it on, so it looks like I'm going short hunting in uncharted waters. Any suggestions?

Ah, found it. However, it blew the spare the second I cut it on, so it looks like I'm going short hunting in uncharted waters. Any suggestions?

Open it up and take a careful look at the power supply board--do you see any components that look burned or damaged? The fuse blowing immediately points to a component failure on the primary side of the power supply. Disconnect the power line filter from the power supply input and check it for shorts.

Back