• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq LTE eLite 4/50 - Need pinout for Citizen W1D floppy drive

startuler

Hi everyone.
I'm working on restoration project for Compaq LTE elite 4/50. This model happens to feature Citizen W1D, 26 pin floppy drive which is notorious for it's driving belt meltdowns. Unfortunately mine is not an exception. I'm looking to replace CITIZEN W1D drive with TEAC FD-05HG 8798-U, which is a direct drive. I'm looking for technical spec for Citizen W1D that contains connector pinout for that drive so i could compare it to the TEAC's pinout. I did some searches on this and other forums for Citizen W1D and was not able to locate the spec. I've also found a number of pinout references for the Citizen drive, but they seem to have some variation in them, I would like to have more certainty before swapping the FDD.
Thank you,
Ilya

Is the floppy drive connector on the motherboard a pin header, or a flat-flex cable?

If it's a pin header, then you have a good chance of a simple replacement. All a 26-pin drive really is is just a 34-pin drive rewired, and missing 8 ground pins, which really aren't needed.
This adapter does really well, and I've been able to replace the drive inside of a Toshiba T3200SXC easily: https://www.ebay.com/itm/34-Pin-Flo...133545?hash=item2ce86ec129:g:t88AAOSwPb1co1Uz
The only (small) problem was getting the drive to recognize 1.44 MB disks. Two drive pins needed to be shorted to GND.

If it's a flat-flex cable, you can probably get the same fix with this adapter: https://www.ebay.com/itm/34Pin-flop...682690?hash=item23b95c3302:g:dgIAAOSwGgdcneiY

Hi T-Squared, thank you for the info.
Unfortunately the connector for Citizen floppy drive is a flat-flex cable with 26 pins. My TEAC FD-05HG drive which I'm trying to use as a replacement has flat-flex 26 pin connector as well (please see Teac's connector pinout below).
I've tried to connect TEAC drive directly, it is spinning the floppy disk but gives me Drive Not Ready error. This is why I was asking for the tech spec for Citizen, I just wanted to compare and see if there is any difference between the two connectors.

Thanks for the links to the adapters. I've ordered flat-flex to 34 pin drive adapter and will try to connect some 34 pin floppy drives I have sitting around, maybe one of them will work.

TEAC FD-05HG

1 +5V
2 /INDEX
3 +5V
4 DRIVE SELECT
5 +5V
6 DISK CHANGE
7 N/C
8 READY
9 HD OUT(HD at HIGH level)
10 MOTOR ON
11 N/C
12 DIRECTION SELECT
13 N/C
14 STEP
15 0V
16 WRITE DATA
17 0V
18 WRITE GATE
19 NC
20 TRACK 00
21 NC
22 WRITE PROTECT
23 0V
24 READ DATA
25 0V
26 SIDE ONE SELECT

Attachments

• PinoutTEAC_FD_05HF.jpg
    PinoutTEAC_FD_05HF.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 10
I've tried to connect TEAC drive directly, it is spinning the floppy disk but gives me Drive Not Ready error.

When I used my 26-pin ribbon cable (i.e. not a flat-flex) adapter in my Toshiba T3200SXC, I had the same problem. I forget which two pins on the drive/adapter side have to be grounded with jumper wires, but I believe they controlled:

*Drive Ready
*Disk Format (720k or 1.44M)

I got my information from an Amiga forum. To adapt a drive for an Amiga, at least one pin needs to be grounded. (It's been a while, so I don't know what forum it was.)

Back