• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable 386 not booting from hard drive

teitoku233

I recently got my cp386 online and tried to install dos 6.22 on my portable 386, When I booted the machine using a startup disk, I could enter drive c just fine, but the computer just won't boot from its internal hard drive (The drive clicks for a few times and the screen displays "disk error press any kay to restart") I tried using the fdisk /MBR command, and after restarting, the computer still showed "disk error". I am using a IDE disk on module with a capacity of 256 mbytes. Any ideas?

What are your drive parameters set to? The 386 with my BIOS version at least has the drive parameters hard-coded and the user-defined options were locked out. I had to use a SIIG Enhanced BIOS with auto-detection to force the system to accept custom drive parameters.

What are your drive parameters set to? The 386 with my BIOS version at least has the drive parameters hard-coded and the user-defined options were locked out. I had to use a SIIG Enhanced BIOS with auto-detection to force the system to accept custom drive parameters.
I selected a drive capacity that is closest to my 256mb dom, and through booting with a dos boot disk, the computer reads the drive just fine. However, it is jost not booting from the hard drive.

Back