• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable II setup

brittman914

I've been a guest lurker here for quite some time...but I just created an account to ask for some help.

I have a Compaq Portable II, and looking for someone who has a working setup disk to either image it in Linux, or zip the files so I can drop them on my CF card. I was able to use GSETUP to setup screen, drives, etc, but the memory settings don't allow setting 640+1536 expansion ram, so the RAM test currently fails, as BIOS is set a hair above actual physical memory.

I've tried expanding the softpaq's from HP, and the 360k softpaq expands and writes two 360k disks, but the setup throws an error message about corrupted file and exits, and the 720k Softpaq (SP0308) doesn't load at all (blank screen).

I'm hoping someone has a working floppy they could send me, or a Zip archive with the actual expanded files in it, or better yet an IMG file I can open in Linux to copy the files to CF...I'll make an image with rawrite and host it for everybody else if given a floppy, i'm just stuck and I'm so close to getting this done...been working on the Compaq Portable II for a couple of months now.

Thanks,
Britt

The files are still available from Compaq's/HP's FTP site. Just search for "softpaq 0308" or "softpaq 0316" They are self-extracting to a floppy disk, as long as it's been formatted properly.

Thank you! I finally figured out that my issues related to me not booting from the floppies...Everything is setup great now! Thank you! Evidently DOS 6.22 and the Compaq Setup program have conflicts, I should have probably tried booting it first!

Back