• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable ii upgrade suggestions

acenewman

Experienced Member
Recently picked up a very nice Compaq Portable ii. Was pretty much original when I picked it up other than an improve-it 486 processor being present. It has the original 360K 5.25 drive and Type 2 MFM hard drive. In addition to cleaning it up some I installed a 1 GB DOM I had laying around in place of the MF hard drive. Have DOS 3.3 and windows 2.03 running on it now. Was pondering what upgrade options to pursue as it only has one 8 bit and one 16 bit expansion slot available.

Curious what other have done and find most useful?

While I do enjoy playing some DOS games I generally like to run application software from the time period on my vintage computers and do real world work with them. For example, I manage all my passwords in Quickfile II on my apple iie.

Being that I am not using the MFM drive at the moment I have considered pulling it out and adding a 1.2K 5.25 or 1.44K 3.5 drive in it's slot.

I also have a 5170 with a 1.2K and 360K drive combo and find that quite useful. I suspect I won't be happy until I get a network card in it and mTCP running as that is extremely convenient for moving files on and off the machine.

Looking forward to hearing what people think, Chris

thanks for the suggestion. I am not familiar with that type of networking. I will have to do some research on the topic.

Back