• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Portable III

DOS lives on!!

Veteran Member
The Compaq Portable III was the third model in Compaq's line of portable computers. The screen pivots for a comfortable viewing angle. The keyboard does attach to the screen when it is being transported. The only expansions available for it is an internal 1200 baud modem and an external expansion chasis (model 2662A) that holds two full length cards. Like other older Compaq computers, the internal BIOS settings can only be changed or configured via the use of a diagnostic disk.

Here's the specs,

1. Model: 2660
2. Year introduced: 1987
3. CPU: Intel 80286
4. RAM: 640k base memory. Expandable up to 2048kb.
5. Storage: 20mb or 40mb Conner hard drive. 1.2mb 5.25 floppy drive.
6. Ports: RGB, Parallel, Serial.
7. Display: 10" red gas plasma screen.
8. OS: Compaq DOS 3.31.
9. Original Price: $4,999.00 with 20mb hard drive.
$5,799.00 with 40mb hard drive.

compaqiii.jpg

Really! There's no BIOS or setup screen. You have to use the diagnostic disk to enter in the settings.
What you mean is that you need a setup program on disk to set the BIOS options. Every PC & compatible has a BIOS AFAIK; without a BIOS, how would the computer be able to read the setup disk in the first place?

Yeah, that's what I meant to say. I was trying to say, "There's no way to configure the internal BIOS without the use of a seperate configuration program, such as it's own Diagnostic Disk." Or, there is the option of using GSETUP.

The Compaq Portable III was the third model in Compaq's line of portable computers. The screen pivots for a comfortable viewing angle. The keyboard does attach to the screen when it is being transported.

Does anyone have this disk or the other disks for this machine? I have one for sale and would like to provide copies. Thanks

Found a site that has the diagnostic diskette listed: https://forum.winworldpc.com/discussion/8321/compaq-portable-286-diagnostics-diskette

Note: these might be images of the diskette, hard to tell.

360KB 5.25" Floppy: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp0000-0500/sp0316.zip

720KB 3.5" Floppy: ftp://ftp.hp.com/pub/softpaq/sp0000-0500/sp0308.zip

GSETUP would also suffice: http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/5170/setup/5170_gsetup.htm

Yes - those are the correct disks. I used those files recently to make disks for my portable.

Requiring a software program to set the BIOS was a long running Compaq thing. In 1998 their desktops had a second boot partition on their hard drive that housed the BIOs program. If a hard drive died, a utility disk had to be used to add the partition and BIOS software.

Since someone bumped this fairly recently, I figured I’d add to it.

The III was NOT the third model; it is the fourth (or fifth if you count the plus as a separate model, but since it’s still based off of the same motherboard that the original is, we’ll let it slide).

People always forget the Portable 286; this was a machine that came after the Plus, but before the II. It is a 286 AT class machine housed in the same case as the original and Plus. When it’s all buttoned up it looks identical aside from saying “Portable 286” on the outside. When you open the unit you are greeted with an AT keyboard, versus the standard XT layout of the original and Plus.

Just google “compaq portable 286” and you’ll see what I mean.

Back