• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq Prolinea 466 CF-Card problem

ohmylove2u

Experienced Member
I have a vintage Compaq Prolinea 466 desktop with a hard disk(working fine).
This desktop is my test platform :)
I use it to create floppy disks, test hard drivers, and transfer files to CF cards ...
I'm concerned that my hard disk will eventually fail as a result of repeated reboots.
I choose to use a CF card in place of the hard disk.

1. Using the Compaq Diagnostic disk, create a diagnosis partition on the CF card.
2. Creating a primary partition on it in DOS6.22 by using the "format c:/s" command.
3. Reboot System.But it can't enter DOS; all it displays is a capital "J" character with a blinking cursor.

(BTW,When the system boots with a hard disk, this desktop can recognize the CF card as a second hard drive, and it functions just well.)

What am I going to do?
Thx!

2. Creating a primary partition on it in DOS6.22 by using the "format c:/s" command.
Note that FDISK creates the DOS partition and then FORMAT is used to high-level format the partition.

(BTW,When the system boots with a hard disk, this desktop can recognize the CF card as a second hard drive, and it functions just well.)
What am I going to do?
This sounds like a booting issue only. The cause is probably the first problem listed at [here]. So as described there, paying attention to the notes, try FDISK /MBR

Note that FDISK creates the DOS partition and then FORMAT is used to high-level format the partition.
I created the DOS partition using FDISK,after that format it using FORMAT c:/s.

This sounds like a booting issue only. The cause is probably the first problem listed at [here]. So as described there, paying attention to the notes, try FDISK /MBR
I will try "FDISK /MBR" after work tonight.
Shall I recreate the diagnosis partition?

thx!

1. "FDISK" delete all partition
2. "FDISK /MBR" rebuilt MBR
3. Using the Compaq Diagnostic disk, create a diagnosis partition on it
4. "FDISK" create primary partition
5. "FORMAT C: /s" format primary partition and make it bootable
This is the order of commands

Back