• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Compaq SLT/286 Diagnostic Disk

rgh.key

Hello All,

I have recently purchased a Compaq SLT/286 from Sphock. The seller sent me a video of the computer attempting to boot, it currently has no OS or a faulty hard drive so sits with the “NON SYSYEM DISK OR DISK ERROR” however another things I noticed was a configuration message after the memory check “SYSTEM OPTIONS NOT SET, INSERT DIAGNOSTICS DISKETTE INTO A:” I understand that this message is raised when the CMOS battery goes flat, due to it been one of the infamous Dallas clock chips I know that I will have to do some slight modification to get this working.

The computers comes with no software and I wondered if anyone had or knew where I could get a disk image of the Compaq SLT/286 Diagnostic Diskette to write onto a floppy disk so that I can try to get this item back up and running?

Many Thanks,

Richard.

For COMPAQ SLT/286 (and certain others - see [here]):

--------------------------------------------
OPTION 1

Requirement: A pre-formatted 720K diskette.

1. Download SP0308.ZIP from [here].
2. Unzip SP0308.ZIP to get SP0308.EXE
3. Execute SP0308.EXE, and follow the prompts. That will create files QRST.EXE and DIAGS80B._01
4. Execute QRST.EXE
QRST.EXE will take you through a process that makes the pre-formatted 720K diskette a 'SETUP/DIAGNOSTICS Version 8.00 DP256' one.

OPTION 2

Alternatively, an image of the above 720K diskette is at [here].
Use something like Winimage to create the diskette from the image file.

WARNING

Post #4 at [here] suggests a possible issue with DOS 6.22

Back