• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Complete my IBM 5150 setup

I have both types, with and without the leds. Mike B. says the ones without the LEDs are for the XT. Mine is Part # 1390120 and it works not only on the XT but also anything else I plug it into. FWIW, so does the one with the LEDs which is Part # 1391401. And so does another with LEDs, Part # 1391580. They're just the best keyboards every which way.

Hey Stone!

You hit the tone of this conversation right on the nose. Yeah, out of all of the keyboards I have tried and used over the last 30 or so years, the Model M is my personal favorite. When I got this one two years ago, I got lucky there too. See, I also belong to another group called Geekhack. That site is pretty much all about keyboards. One of the members there, Ripster, is like the keyboard god! There isn't any one who knnows keyboard better than he does. It was a friend of his who just happened to be selling a bolt modded/spring job model M for only $30.00 because he was buying a new Filco. Of course I bought it. Now the same keyboard with the bolt mod, and spring job model M will easilly sell for over $100.00.

Out of all of the rubber dome keyboards, and the varied mechanical keyboards I have used over the years, the model M sitting right here in front of my is my absolute favorite, hands down!

My 101 key enhanced keyboard works fine with my 5160 PC/XT.

That's what I found when I finallly connected my model M to my IBM PC. So, yeah it does work, contrary to what I beleived at first. Of course, I'm still looking for a spacesaver/tenkeyless model M to use with my Windows computer. My current model M is definitely a fantastic board, and works flawlessly with both my IBM 5150 PC, and my Windows 7 computer. Also it seems that Gigabyte is the only manufacturer still including PS2 connections on their mother boards. I hope they continue.

That's what I found when I finallly connected my model M to my IBM PC. So, yeah it does work, contrary to what I beleived at first. Of course, I'm still looking for a spacesaver/tenkeyless model M to use with my Windows computer. My current model M is definitely a fantastic board, and works flawlessly with both my IBM 5150 PC, and my Windows 7 computer. Also it seems that Gigabyte is the only manufacturer still including PS2 connections on their mother boards. I hope they continue.

Yes, the model M works just fine with modern computers. My wife and I both use them and I've got a little stash in case either of us live to be 200 years old and need a replacement. The old ones are still dirt cheap, but I too would love to have a spacesaver model. I'm not in the habit of using the right hand pad, so wouldn't miss it.

I've stayed away from Gigabyte boards because of their reputation, but perhaps they've got some good models too. Anyway, they're not the only ones with ps2 connectors. I got an Intel DH55TC last year and it has ps2. That was one of the reasons I went with that particular model, but I'm pretty sure that the model M doesn't require it anyway - it's just easier that way.

Well, if companies do completely stop placing USB ports there is always the USB to PS/2 converter, mine works perfectly with my Model M (and the matching mouse I have around here somewhere).

Well, if companies do completely stop placing USB ports there is always the USB to PS/2 converter, mine works perfectly with my Model M (and the matching mouse I have around here somewhere).

Actually there is more to it than that. Model M keyboards, and for that matter, many keyboards that only had PS2 connectivity don't work with just any old PS2 to USB converter. Ther are som key differences in the amount of current that the model M draws, and USM in most cases can't support the current. There is a converter out there that some call the blue box,. Basically is has some additional circuitry to eliminate the need for the extra current draw. You can find more information in that subject at http://geekhack.org/. (I'm also a member there) Geekhack is to keyboarding what VCF is to our old computers.

Here is an exerpt about the model M and USB(Seems there are a lot of people with this issue too.) This is just one thread there on the subject. http://geekhack.org/showthread.php?...-Keyboard-and-USB-Adapter&highlight=Model+USB.

As for PS2 on new boards, Thanks Ole for queuing me into the Intel boards. I have always had nothing but good luck with Gigabyte boards myself. In fact the computer I'm using now was built in 2009 and the industry is just now catching up to the systyemI built. I'm talking average processor speed, amount of RAM, storage drives etc. And I don't forsee having to upgrade for at least another couple of years. Of course, that may change as the future unfolds.

Actually there is more to it than that. Model M keyboards, and for that matter, many keyboards that only had PS2 connectivity don't work with just any old PS2 to USB converter. Ther are som key differences in the amount of current that the model M draws, and USM in most cases can't support the current.

Try getting a powered USB hub (one with a wall wart, sometime referred to as "self-powered") and plugging the USB->PS/2 adapter into it, these tend to have much more current available to the USB ports than the ones on the motherboard. Also, some motherboard manufacturers are now including high powered USB ports on their boards (they supply around 1A of current as opposed to the typical 100-500mA) these might work better for the current hungry model M keyboards.

Try getting a powered USB hub (one with a wall wart, sometime referred to as "self-powered") and plugging the USB->PS/2 adapter into it, these tend to have much more current available to the USB ports than the ones on the motherboard. Also, some motherboard manufacturers are now including high powered USB ports on their boards (they supply around 1A of current as opposed to the typical 100-500mA) these might work better for the current hungry model M keyboards.

That is something I personally haven't thought about. But it might work. I also know too that Unicomp is currently manufacturing Model M clones that support either USB or PS2. The bad thing about Unicomp boards though, at least in my opinion, is that the build quiality is just not the same. Also, on any of the new Unicomp keuboards, when you order one, the cable is hard wired into the board itself. You can't switch out the cable loke older original model M boards.

Still, there is one more option too. I found online by doing a Google search, that there are PS2 adapters that can be unstalled into an PCIE expansion bay. That would also take care of the voltage issue. I don't know of too many systems out there that don't have at least one expansion bay open any more. At lease since the adcent of USB. Hell, everything connected to my modern computer uses USB with the exception of my keyboard. Even my wireless mouse uses a USB Bluetooth transmitter. So other than my video card, all of my internal bays are open. That may not be typical of many others out there, but still, a PS2 card installed into the systemm is better than none at all when you need it. And this option will negate the need to plug yet another device into the spaghetti by the wall outlet.

Hey bud!

I have a silly question for you. Do you happen to have a model M for sale with the XT connector cable? If so, how much?

I used to have a fleet of Model M keyboards. I still have a few. Tomorrow, I'll go out to the test lab, aka garage, and try them on my 5160. I've been using AT/XT keyboards with it lately. This is the first time I'll be trying the Model Ms on it.

It has a detachable cable. I have a cable for it that you can leave plugged in to the computer so you can just move the keyboard around. Yours has a PS/2 connector, right? I can send you an AT/XT cable for that keyboard.

That will be cool, but I still want another board to leave withe the 5150. I hate having to swap the keyboard from one machine to another. I'm just anal that way. If you don't have one, that's cool, I can get one through E-Bay, but there's no guarantee that it will have the correct cable. I'll contact you directly if I need to get one.

It has a detachable cable. I have a cable for it that you can leave plugged in to the computer so you can just move the keyboard around. Yours has a PS/2 connector, right? I can send you an AT/XT cable for that keyboard.

Back