• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Composite Black and White monitor dead

"I checked but nothing there. Seems it's still on its way."

Damn post!! I,m on the edge of my seat here ..... doing great stuff Tez... .......harry

Transistor arrived.

Earlier today I screwed it in....connected everything up.....switched on....held my breath as I hear the odd crackle of components that hadn't had significant voltage through them for at least 25 years.

Then voila!

2012-07-28-model1-monitor-fixed.jpg

I left it going for about 25 mins. Seems fine. A slight hum from the power transformer and the faintest suggestion of a screen ripple if I stare hard enough at it but no more than most of my other monitors of this vintage.

I deem it fixed!

Many thanks to those who helped, especially Chuck who took the time to step me through the checks, and also sourced a replacement transistor. I owe you a beer or two if you ever make it to New Zealand Chuck.

All I need now are some TRS-80 badged stand-alone drives (actually just the badged drive cases..as I have full height drives), and I'll have an authentic disk-based TRS-80 Model 1 to show off. :)

Tez

Looks nice, Tez. Congratulations!

Oh, did you put some heatsink compound on that transistor flange before you bolted it down? It might help extend the life a bit more.

Oh, did you put some heatsink compound on that transistor flange before you bolted it down? It might help extend the life a bit more.
No, I didn't but thanks for the tip. Seeing the largest cost was postage, I got two transistors. Always good to have a spare.

Yes, I'm pleased. I got the screen for $1NZ and as you know the transistor wasn't much. So overall I now have a working TRS-80 M1 monitor without spending too much. They are ultra-rare here in NZ.

Tez

Adding my congratulations for another job well done (and no doubt well documented ;-) )

Considering the voltages and stress on the HO transistor it is one of the most common parts to fail; you were lucky that it didn't take any other components with it when it did.

Adding my congratulations for another job well done (and no doubt well documented ;-) )

Considering the voltages and stress on the HO transistor it is one of the most common parts to fail; you were lucky that it didn't take any other components with it when it did.

Thanks Mike,

Yes, everything else seems to have survived. As usual there will be a blog post on the whole episode appearing soon...although a blow-by-blow account is pretty detailed in this forum so it will largely be a summary with some reflection. It will include a nice picture of my Model 1 setup anyway.

I just have to find the time to write it. As well as home life I'm involved in another big project at the moment (non-computer related). This cuts into time left for all other hobbies/interests and I feel I'm missing not connecting as much with the VC community.

Roll on retirement! (probably about 10 years to go on that score though).

Tez

Great result for you Tez, you and chuck have made another interesting repair, I find these sort of things a great way to learn, and a little humor makes it good to follow!
well done..... Harry

Back