• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer case painting

generic486

Experienced Member
I'm trying to restore my Magnum 486 to it's original look. One problem with the computer it that the case has the paint scrapped of in several places and it looks really messy. I was wondering what paint I should use for the case. The case is off white, and I intnd to keep it that way but do I need a special type of paint or is any spray paint okay. Also, I started scrapping the paint away and there seem to be rust spots under the paint. Also would the paint used on a 1990's computer be toxic if scrapped? It's probably not but for the safety of me and assurance for my family.

Last edited:
I don't think you need to worry about lead in the paint. It has been banned in Australia since long before the Magnum would have been made. Imports also have to comply with lead-free paint standards - there has been the occasional scandal over childrens toys and lead-glazed porcelain imported from China, but never in appliances.

Treat the case as you would treat any metal object. The rust spots under the pain indicate a poor standard of original manufacture, with the steel not properly primed before painting. You can hand-sand it all right back to the metal if you want to, or you can just expose the rust and paint it with a rust-stabilising solution before repainting.

You can get what you need at any big hardware chain or the auto-parts chains such as Repco, Autopro, Supercheap etc. Get advice if you want a matt finish (more typical for computers) or a gloss enamel (kitchen appliances and cars).

Rick

Before paint make sure to clean off the case with soap and water. Use the tack cloth when it has completely dried. This is such a good idea for your actual paint coats as it helps prevent pooling. For the base coat, allowed the paint to dry for 2 hours in between coats.

metal asset tags

Last edited:
Back