• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer collection in Kiel, Germany

From the website: The museum was started in 1982 but now they plan to open a new facility. They have been working on the plan for the display since the autumn of 2008. Apparently they also have an extensive collection of historical books, periodicals and original documentation available to the public.

This certainly looks like it's going to be a winner. Like Pontus said, they are opening in 2011. That'll come pretty fast with the amount of work they've got cut out for themselves.

It looks like this is going to be Germany's biggest computer museum to date. I'm finding this a little difficult to figure out but it also looks like there are two other computer museums in Germany: the Heinz Nixdorf Museum, and the Bonn Arithmeum, or some such. Perhaps someone here knows something about those places and can chime in here.

Thanks for clarifying. I'm glad a nice museum of this kind is opening close (relatively speaking) to me.

Wasn't this one of the museums mentioned in that preserving computer history link/article? (Just explaining the randomness of finding that museum to folks). I think they stated this was one of the handful of museums that is actively growing and has a budget/grant for it's collection and preservation of vintage technology. Sounds like another worthy cause and wish them luck.

I'm a bit slow posting this, but Bletchley Park has finally got a £0.5M chunk of funding with a lot more promised. fingers crossed it gets spent well. And it's near enough for me to work there when all the children are at school!

I'm a bit slow posting this, but Bletchley Park has finally got a £0.5M chunk of funding with a lot more promised. fingers crossed it gets spent well. And it's near enough for me to work there when all the children are at school!

That is good news.

Aah, working as curator of a computer museum would be very relaxing I imagine.

Not an asr33 Pontus but thanks for the heads-up! Anyway I now have one (albeit disguised - and I WILL post photos, We've found the camera, but lost the battery charger!) The couple of VT52s (?) in front of it look nice and a decwriter too, and I would love to give a home to the Kongsberg machine (it looks 1960s!)

If it was down to me I'd get in the van & come for a look, but I now have significant others to consider. :(

Incidentally if you do go, verbally abuse whoever put their cigarette out on the Siemens desk machine, just disrespectful!
I've just nearly crippled myself carrying an HP tape drive upstairs, God knows what those pair weigh!

Not an asr33 Pontus but thanks for the heads-up! Anyway I now have one (albeit disguised - and I WILL post photos, We've found the camera, but lost the battery charger!) The couple of VT52s (?) in front of it look nice and a decwriter too, and I would love to give a home to the Kongsberg machine (it looks 1960s!)

If it was down to me I'd get in the van & come for a look, but I now have significant others to consider. :(

Incidentally if you do go, verbally abuse whoever put their cigarette out on the Siemens desk machine, just disrespectful!
I've just nearly crippled myself carrying an HP tape drive upstairs, God knows what those pair weigh!

The kongsberg is apparently a rare Norwegian machine, I do hope someone saves it. I wont be able to go for this :( which is a shame..

Apparently they are clearing out some of their stuff which is free for pickup:

http://pdp8.hachti.de/gallery/endangered_stuff/

(some things on the pictures is not going to be thrown out, mail Philipp to be sure)

The "endangered" parts are just items whose destiny is not yet clear. They're endangered. So if someone (preferably) an official museum or museum/collectors' society is interested in those parts, there is a good chance that they can be transferred. There's no unlimited "free for pickup" policy. But after stuff that cannot be kept and cannot be given to above mentioned groups, there tend to be ways to get them into private hands as well.
If you're interested in stuff on my (privately maintained) "endangered" list, please contact me.

Is there some story behind this collection or is it a really bad case of OCD ?
There is some story. But I'm not the one to tell it, because I don't know all the fact. Basically there's a huge collection of stuff in Kiel. It has been collected and kept in "academic circles" (mostly people around the university). The material has been sitting in different storage facilities (=basements) for a long time.
Currently there's a project running that creates an exhibition in a WW2 shelter here at the FH Kiel (Fachhochschule, university of applied sciences). The shelter can take only a fraction of the original amount of stuff. So very much has to be sorted out. Some finds new homes, some not. Sometimes it's difficult to find new owners for real big iron (everything you can get onto a pallet is not "real big iron"...).

Best wishes,

Philipp

Oh, hope you like the pictures. Keep in mind that iraeus==hachti...

Hi Hachti! I didn't know you were a member :D

There's no unlimited "free for pickup" policy.

Ah, I was under the impression that the process was close to an end and that stuff had to go _soon_. It was not my intention to give anyone false hope or scare anyone into thinking that stuff was being thrown in the electronic waste dump.

Sorry for any confusion, I'm glad to see that the rare things are dealt with professionally.

It looks like this is going to be Germany's biggest computer museum to date. I'm finding this a little difficult to figure out but it also looks like there are two other computer museums in Germany: the Heinz Nixdorf Museum, and the Bonn Arithmeum, or some such. Perhaps someone here knows something about those places and can chime in here.

I've been to both (heck, Arithmeum is just a few blocks into town and they're part of our maths department). While HNFs caters to general computing and has an impressive collection (albeit no vintage live exhibits like the CHM), the Arithmeum is clearly focused on mathematical problem solving and (mostly mechanical) calculating machines. However, the Arithmeum does have a working Zuse Z25 in the basement which is demonstrated during tours and special events. I've yet to check out the CHM.

Man, I'd kill for a collection like the one in Kiel!

See ya,

--Roland

Back