• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Computer Not Detecting Mouse

leo1954au

Hope someone can help with a problem I have that's driving me crazy, I brought a complete 586 upgrade kit off ebay and every thing works great except I cannot seem to get the serial mouse port working, The HDD had windows 95c on it and it's detecting the com port ok but when I plug a mouse in I'm getting an error message cannot find mouse so I tried 2 different serial port I had laying around but still no luck and I know the mouse is working ok because I've tested it on another computer.

I even tried an optical PS2 mouse with a serial adaptor and the red light under the mouse flickers a couple of times when windows loads but doesn't stay on so theres power getting to the port I just don't know why the mouse is not working I've even tried installing Windows 98se on another drive I have but still no mouse and from what on read on the USBman web site a USB add on card will not work with windows 95c because the USB has to be built into the motherboard for it to work.

My only other option is to use windows 98 because it detects the USB card strait away and a USB mouse works perfect but I wonted to use win95 to play my old games and from past experience I know it excepts Dos 6.22 a lot better than 98
Hope someone can help with this.

The Motherboard I have is a Soyo SY-4SAW/2/W5

As far as I can recall, most serial mice run at 1200 bps (baud), 7 data, 1 stop, no parity.

What happens if you use a DOS (in MS-DOS, not in Windows) terminal program with those settings and roll the mouse around? You should see a bunch of information coming from the mouse.

If that doesn't work, try using a loopback plug at the serial connection and see if you can at least echo back what you type in with a terminal program.

If your serial port is cabled to the motherboard, check the cable.

Do you have a conflict between the serial port IRQ and another device? Windows can be very bad about detecting conflicts--and your serial port needs an IRQ to operate a mouse.

The only thing different in the port settings on the 586 compared to the AMD Sempron 3300+ with win98 on it that I used to make sure the mouse was working is that on the sempron it has driver provider Microsoft but on the 586 it had driver provider unknown, could this be the problem Also the Sempron had a motherboard with a built in serial port not a plug in style like the 586.

I tried updating the port driver but win95 couldn't find a driver for it.

Last edited:
"Driver provider unknown" merely means that the driver vendor doesn't match one that Windows knows about. It happens quite often and is nothing to be concerned about.

But you really need to make sure that the 586 system can actually talk to the mouse. My suggestion using a terminal program should do that. Serial mice do require certain pins on the RS232 connection to be active--DTR and RTS are typically the pins where the mouse gets its operating power.

Tried using 3 or 4 different mouse drivers in native Dos mode plus a mouse testing utility and still couldn't get dos to even detect that a mouse was connected to the computer so I'm going to try as a last resort a SUNIX-4079T PCI serial port card I saw on ebay and see if that works if not I'll just use win98 with a PCI USB card instead at least I know that works.

If you can ,try to use another cable that connects the motherboard connector with the 9 pin plug
(I mean this: )
startech.com-9-pin-serial-p_527995vb.jpg

As Chuck said if the serial port is cabled to the motherboard,check the cable with a multimeter or in another computer-maybe is broken somewhere.
Another possibility is what happened to me with a cable like this when I took it from my 386 and used it with my Asus P-III motherboard.By searching around I found that I had to open the 9 pin connector the resolder the cables in another position.
If you can't find a solution you can also buy an ISA Multi I/O card with a serial port that is cheap on ebay and works in DOS and Windows 95.

If you can ,try to use another cable that connects the motherboard connector with the 9 pin plug
(I mean this: )
View attachment 13352

As Chuck said if the serial port is cabled to the motherboard,check the cable with a multimeter or in another computer-maybe is broken somewhere.
Another possibility is what happened to me with a cable like this when I took it from my 386 and used it with my Asus P-III motherboard.By searching around I found that I had to open the 9 pin connector the resolder the cables in another position.
If you can't find a solution you can also buy an ISA Multi I/O card with a serial port that is cheap on ebay and works in DOS and Windows 95.

I had 2 extra port that I tried on the motherboard and still got no mouse so I'm going to get a PCI card with 2 serial ports on it off ebay, It's a SUNIX-4079T and being a fairly old card it should work with win95 ok

The most annoying thing is I had lots of old PC parts laying about but did a big clean up and tossed them all in the rubbish to keep my wife happy

Hope someone can help with a problem I have that's driving me crazy, I brought a complete 586 upgrade kit off ebay and every thing works great except I cannot seem to get the serial mouse port working, The HDD had windows 95c on it and it's detecting the com port ok but when I plug a mouse in I'm getting an error message cannot find mouse so I tried 2 different serial port I had laying around but still no luck and I know the mouse is working ok because I've tested it on another computer.

I even tried an optical PS2 mouse with a serial adaptor and the red light under the mouse flickers a couple of times when windows loads but doesn't stay on so theres power getting to the port I just don't know why the mouse is not working I've even tried installing Windows 98se on another drive I have but still no mouse and from what on read on the USBman web site a USB add on card will not work with windows 95c because the USB has to be built into the motherboard for it to work.

My only other option is to use windows 98 because it detects the USB card strait away and a USB mouse works perfect but I wonted to use win95 to play my old games and from past experience I know it excepts Dos 6.22 a lot better than 98
Hope someone can help with this.

The Motherboard I have is a Soyo SY-4SAW/2/W5

Leo,

I understand your frustration. Clear up one point for me if you will. You said you are attempting to connect your mouse via the serial port. Do you have a PS/2 mouse that plugs directly into the PS/2 port via the adapter on your Soyo mobo? Looks something like this: http://www.pccables.com/06010.html?gclid=CJ6fheeenLcCFScV7Aod9l0Aew. Also have you verified your COM port settings:

Port I/O IRQ
COM1 3F8 4
COM2 2F8 3
COM3 3E8 4
COM4 2E8 3

Note: If you are attempting to run a USB mouse on WIN95, the Windows version must be OEM Service Release 2.1 or later. Prior versions do not support USB.

Last edited:
Just to let you know it was the grey com port cable that was at fault I tried 2 cables but nether worked and a PS2 to serial adapter wouldn't work but then I came across a 3rd cable that I didn't know I had and that worked strait away ( I only found the 3rd cable after I brought a PCI card with onboard serial ports on ebay } thanks for the help to everyone

Back