• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here
  • From now on we will require that a prefix is set for any items in the sales area. We have created regions and locations for this. We also require that you select a delivery option before posting your listing. This will hopefully help us streamline the things that get listed for sales here and help local people better advertise their items, especially for local only sales. New sales rules are also coming, so stay tuned.

Texas Computer Reset in Dallas is still going for just a little while (new LGR video Feb. 2022)

Covers: Texas
I just upgraded my XP Dell Lattitude D520 to Windows 7 SP1 32bits, had to call in MS automated system, and the valid serial number I had handy to get it authenticated.. hehe it worked :)
Why 7? I need this laptop to access some heavy embossing machines that still use 9 pin serial cables, that required a null modem cable to talk to them for servicing :)
Yes I know I could get a USB>Serial device on a new computer (which I have). but the software does work properly with it.. it was programmed on Windows XP.

It ran well enough on supported hardware, but MS didn't support it that long before wanting people to jump to XP.
Windows Me was just 98 with training wheels and DOS hidden behind a curtain

With all the IBM stuff at computer reset, I wonder if they had any IBM CGA compatible light pens there?

Yes, I was still supporting 9x at certain sites for industrial applications, mostly into the mid-2000's. I wouldn't be surprised it is still used.

But the thing is, I don't have to go to CR to find one of these machines. And also, due to compatibility issues, 9x is not exactly going to be working on their hardware for the older games. You can probably get the same amount of compatibility with XP for what they could run, which is better suited for the hardware anyway. Which, XP can pretty much run on any recent computer. So it's hard to say why ebay is so inflated other than people don't mind burning some money. I'm not going to spend hours and money traveling and to haul a dozen of those machines. CR at this point is best for somebody local who wants to spend the time refurbishing a bunch of machines that don't really have an audience. Not saying to throw them out, but I just don't so the interest there when I can pick them up here easily, and not end up with a pile of them that I don't think would be easy to get rid of actually. I've had piles of common machines, and perhaps it at some point was good to recycle some not very interesting machines.

"A good Pentium III motherboard can go for ...". Since I didn't feel like watching the full video do they let you test any of this. If not how do you know anything is good.
Yes -- as shown in LGR's video, they do have workstations set up for testing hardware.

I think if you have been collecting for a while you build up a network of people who toss vintage gear your way and find places to buy the stuff cheap. Most people don't have the time and energy for doing that so they just buy what they want complete and ready to go when they want it.

Wish there was a place that recycled vintage (older) stuff here in Texas. I have no found one that's open to browsing. Had some at other places I have lived.

Alot of folks seem to find stuff at e-waste/recyclers. We dont have anything like that here. I used to raid the e-waste Room at my last job.. That place was a treasure trove.. but that time is gone... I live in a backwards state so they do everything in thier power to spend money and create problems, not fix them.

There are recyclers here, but they don't seem to want you to go there to look around. Mainly they are taking only. Not selling at least to to people directly. Backwards state? I live in Texas. Not much more backwards than here. :)

Recyclers are not all the same even in a given state. I was lucky enough to find one locally many years ago that would let me crawl around in their incoming piles to snag anything I wanted at 2x scrap prices and wound up taking too much (or not enough going by todays prices). You run out of space eventually. Anyway that place closed ages ago and now I just deal with some locals and ebay.

There was a larger recycler that would sell stuff to a local computer store (modernish computers) for resale but they (the shop) closed around the time Covid hit.

Going back to the facebook thing. Have you noticed how many members now use thier photo instead of an avatar? Tell me thats not a carry over from sites like facebook. Just strange to have soo many conventional avatars for years and all of a sudden peoples photos are showing up. I mean it says avatar.. not photo. I know its a nitpik but there it is.

Going back to the facebook thing. Have you noticed how many members now use thier photo instead of an avatar? Tell me thats not a carry over from sites like facebook. Just strange to have soo many conventional avatars for years and all of a sudden peoples photos are showing up. I mean it says avatar.. not photo. I know its a nitpik but there it is.

Hey, don't judge. I really am a jellyfish.

Jellyfish have tentacles so I’m sure something could be hammered out. I’m more curious about how he’s reading the messages. Box jellyfish have eyes but the regular kind can only sense light well enough to tell up from down…

Back