• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cool looking vintage computer cases

I also think all the MSX systems have very cool designs. It's an interesting concept of cross hardware compatibility with an OS that spans different vendors (Microsoft) that doesn't get brought up that often.

Bell and Howell Apple II:

NQXHjl.jpg

Hard to beat that Darth Vader Apple...especially with that monitor!

Here's a pic of a BeBox:
BeBox.jpg

One interesting thing: there's 2 of those long vertical lights, one on each side and if I remember correctly they're CPU usage meters.

This is a bebox (um, minus the lcd monitor they have it attached to) for the previous person asking about a pic
800px-Pc_005.jpg

Oh good and here's one hooked up (linked to a Bebox gallery)

Pretty much anything ever done by Frog Design was very stylish for its time. They did the Apple IIc, IIGS, Macintosh SE, almost the entire Mac II series, the Sun SPARCstation, the NeXT Cube, and Logitech's peripherals:

http://www.frogdesign.com/about/history/timeline.html#1984

I don't know if I'd agree with that statement. While the IIgs is okay. The IIc and Mac SE are definitely not my cup of tea. The other Mac II's lost the enormous size of the the original box (if I understand it correctly) which, to me, takes away from the presence. I've never been for the small/hidden away system so the minimalist approach does not usually appeal to me.

thm_Mathputer.jpg

The Cybernetic Mathputer. It's a childrens toy computer that taught math, 1975

xor_front_view.jpg

The XOR s-4 was an s-100 computer in a compact case

thm_Mathputer.jpg

The Cybernetic Mathputer. It's a childrens toy computer that taught math, 1975

xor_front_view.jpg

The XOR s-4 was an s-100 computer in a compact case

The knobs on the "Mathputer" are classic. I am surprised they don't have a bunch of big bubbly blinking lights to complete the picture. You know all the lights could go on and off at random when ever it was "puting" ;)

I forgot how much I wanted an Amstrad PPC 640 when I first saw one also. Yet another cool retro but futuristic design to it.
Amstrad_PPC512_2systems_s2.jpg

I loved the look of the Thinking Machine hidden in American Express's basement. I know that by the time I got to see it was little more than world's most expensive lava lamp but all those cubes glued together and covered with blinking lights just sang 80's cinematic computer.

I forgot how much I wanted an Amstrad PPC 640 when I first saw one also. Yet another cool retro but futuristic design to it.
Amstrad_PPC512_2systems_s2.jpg

Nice pic. I saw one of those on eBay I think last year. Was tempted given the compact design but it went way over my budget.

Apricot portable is a very nice looking portable with a design ahead of it's time..

767px-Apricot_portable.JPG

And also Sir Clive's computers had a very cool design especially Spectrum 128 (known as toastrack)
ZX_Spectrum128K.jpg

I kind of like the Olivetti PC-1 (this is my specimen on the picture). While there were many all-in-one computers, both PC compatibles and others, most had a single floppy drive on the side. Olivetti in this design fitted two on the front, of which one could be exchanged for a hard drive as far as I know. Then it has rather interesting side cars too, but I don't have any of those.
olivetti-pc1.jpg

Some of the favorites I've had.....

What'd I'd give to find another one of these....or maybe THREE to fit my XT/AT machines into....yes, it's modded in this pic.
attachment.php

InQin Q500, my fav of the ATX era
attachment.php

And my #1 off-the-shelf name brand design....behold, the Compaq Deskpro 386
attachment.php

Back