• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Copy a drive, DDO and all, in Windows?

pcm2a

Experienced Member
I have a CF card that I can pop in a laptop and it works great (Dos/Win95). However, it has a DDO installed on it, in the boot sector or MBR (where ever that goes).

I would like to copy "that" area and then restore it to another CF card. If that's not possible then copying the entire thing and restoring it will be fine, as long as that DDO comes with it.

I tried EaseUs Backup/Recovery and that seemed like it just did partitions.
I tried a Windows app called MBRWizzard to backup/restore the MBR and that did not move the DDO over.

Anyone have any tips on how to copy that bad boy?

That should do it. Just boot the live CD, then go to a root console. Issue 'dd if=/dev/olddrive of=/dev/newdrive', and let it go.

Remember to use e.g. /dev/sda and not /dev/sda1. It's more likely to work if you copy the whole disk, and not just the partition.

Yep, I use either a live CD or Tom's Root Boot (tomsrtbt -- a single-floppy Linux environment) for doing this. You can send it over the network with netcat, too.

WinHex (for Windows) is also good for making images of SD/TF devices... tho I do prefer using the Linux 'dd' method to read AND WRITE to the devices.

If it is a large device (16b for example) you do NOT need to read the entire thing... read up on 'dd' for the details.
:D

Man I feel so stupid. I was trying ALL of these programs to make an exact duplicate of the CF and they all cant be failing right? Well they weren't all failing. My two Compaqs that I was testing them in just can't boot up off of a Kingston CF card!!!! I tried it in my Midwest laptop and it worked just fine. I took the Transcend CF out of it and am now using it in one of the Compaqs.

So I guess the morale of the story is I should have not tried to save a few bucks on the Kingston CF card.

And on a sad note the real time clock, that had started working again, stopped again in my Midwest after I opened it up to test the CF. I had hoped to never open that guy up again. :-(

dd works great for copying a drive including the boot sector and ddo! Thanks for the tip.

Back