• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Corroded-to-death Apple Lisa 2

QuantumII

Veteran Member
Hey

The Lisa 2 I got has some MAJOR battery acid leakage, and it has spread to every darn connector and card in the machine. I think that it's not fixable, but the cards (Memory cards & CPU) seems to be semi-OK. The "Motherboard" and I/O Board has a lot of the copper traces replaced by green traces, so I think the copper underneath has been destroyed.

The case is badly yellowed as well, and I have no keyboard for it.

The internal connectors (in the case) for the motherboard is completely green as well, so I plan to throw out the case & CRT, and keep the cards for anyone interested.

Is this a bad move ?

It may look worse that it is. I've seen some pretty serious damage that was successfully repaired. Connectors can be replaced, traces patched with conductive ink, etc.

Rather than part a rare machine out, sell it as-is if you think you lack the repair skills.

Damage from battery leakage is one of the more common problems with old machines and usually can be dealt with.

As far as yellowing, see the thread on "removing yellowing". You'd be surprised.

It may look worse that it is. I've seen some pretty serious damage that was successfully repaired. Connectors can be replaced, traces patched with conductive ink, etc.

Rather than part a rare machine out, sell it as-is if you think you lack the repair skills.

Damage from battery leakage is one of the more common problems with old machines and usually can be dealt with.

As far as yellowing, see the thread on "removing yellowing". You'd be surprised.

Oh, it's that bad. Copper pieces fell off the connectors, and the CRT electronics was wasted. Seems like there's been more than battery acid inside here. CRT was burned in too.

I've kept all the cards, and the floppy drive + the small controller board. Any takers ?

Oh, it's that bad. Copper pieces fell off the connectors, and the CRT electronics was wasted. Seems like there's been more than battery acid inside here. CRT was burned in too.

I've kept all the cards sans motherboard ans PSU, and the floppy drive + the small controller board. Any takers ?

Shame about the Lisa II. I've seen what battery acid can do to an Apple IIGS and it ain't pretty.

I've just been through all my old Macs and replaced all batteries. Most had no charge at all.

Tez

Shame about the Lisa II. I've seen what battery acid can do to an Apple IIGS and it ain't pretty.

I've just been through all my old Macs and replaced all batteries. Most had no charge at all.

Tez

Yeah, it's a shame.. It would have been cool to have it running, but this one was too broken.

Now my project is to get the S-100 machine running, and the TeleVideo machine.

I think they just need cleaning and reseating connectors, chips & jumpers.

How about some pics? As Chuck says, it might be salvagable.

No sorry, I don't have any pics at the moment.
If you could take a few I'd be interested to see them. Assuming it's not completely fubar, and you're otherwise planning to throw it away, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at repairing it.

If you could take a few I'd be interested to see them. Assuming it's not completely fubar, and you're otherwise planning to throw it away, I wouldn't mind taking a stab at repairing it.

It has already been thrown away, but I kept everything except the CRT, PSU & passive motherboard. The motherboard had corroded so much that when I removed one of the ram cards the connector came loose with the card.

Do you want the cards ? A paralell card,2 Mem cards (High and low), CPU, I/O & floppy drive+controller card

Do you want the cards ? A paralell card,2 Mem cards (High and low), CPU, I/O & floppy drive+controller card
No, thanks. I was only concerned about rescuing the damaged boards, but if you've already thrown them out I guess it's too late.

No, thanks. I was only concerned about rescuing the damaged boards, but if you've already thrown them out I guess it's too late.

Oh, Ok. It's too late I'm afraid. But who knows, maybe there's a second Lisa there for me to find ;)

Back