• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CP/M System Disks - Please Read

CP/M User

Veteran Member
Although we're happy to help with enquiries concerning CP/M System Disks, we also recommend you try Daves Old Computers - Disk/Software Images website or the Usenet group comp.os.cpm if you require CP/M System Disks.

Unfortunately in the passing of Don Maslin in August 2004, Don handled many of the CP/M System Disks which people could obtain from him, for more details check out Gaby's Domain people are welcome to contact Gaby if they wish to carry on with Don's Legacy.

CP/M User.

AWESOME!!! you are the man!

that's exactly what i needed to get my 1981 osborne model 1 booted up. :p :p :p :p :p

Besides CP/M-86, which was written for the 8086 archetecture, there are a number of good (free) emulators to run CP/M-80 on IBM-PC compatible hardware. Most of them may be downloaded from Gaby's site mentioned above.

CP/M-80 was originally written in a language called PL/M, which was a port for microprocessors of a mainframe language called PL/I. Later versions were written in assembly language, IIRC.

--T

Terry Yager wrote:

Besides CP/M-86, which was written for the 8086 archetecture, there are a number of good (free) emulators to run CP/M-80 on IBM-PC compatible hardware. Most of them may be downloaded from Gaby's site mentioned above.

There are also CP/M-80 emulators for CP/M-86. Personally though I'd go for an emulator and run CP/M through that (making sure you get an emulator which can handle CP/M well).

CP/M-80 was originally written in a language called PL/M, which was a port for microprocessors of a mainframe language called PL/I. Later versions were written in assembly language, IIRC.

Isn't it true though that parts of CP/M were written in raw Machine Code (possibly Assembly) due to the amount of memory limitations or memory limitations of the Boot Sector. This wouldn't have been large amount of code, though code critical towards making CP/M efficent bootup and be usable. PL/M indeed would have been used perhaps in sections like the command line operation and internal commands.

See? I should always check the forum before posting redundant information ;-) I wasn't aware of this effort by Don (great job and unfortunate loss) but since Curtis is also trying to find some of these but I was going to repost the url above which is live. Dave's also here somewhere though I'm not sure if he logs in still. What this does make me increasingly aware of is how unfortunate it is when we can't share our archives online or consolidate them and they get lost on disk due to various happenings. Kinda puts a positive spin on the sharing of old applications to keep these things around for all to use, enjoy, and help preserve.

(Dumb question) Does the library of Congress hold software archives for copyright purposes? Do they or the proper authoritative entity ever release that software for public domain or retrieval?

See? I should always check the forum before posting redundant information ;-) I wasn't aware of this effort by Don (great job and unfortunate loss) but since Curtis is also trying to find some of these but I was going to repost the url above which is live. Dave's also here somewhere though I'm not sure if he logs in still. What this does make me increasingly aware of is how unfortunate it is when we can't share our archives online or consolidate them and they get lost on disk due to various happenings. Kinda puts a positive spin on the sharing of old applications to keep these things around for all to use, enjoy, and help preserve.

It may not be a loss. Don's widow passed away recently and there's a very diplomatic determined guy holding discussions with Don's son about finally retrieving the archive.

(Dumb question) Does the library of Congress hold software archives for copyright purposes? Do they or the proper authoritative entity ever release that software for public domain or retrieval?

Not usually--and note that in any case, the works would be under copyright until at least 2070 in most cases. While CP/M itself may be in a free-use open-source category, any accompanying code specific to a given system (such as the BIOS) would still be covered by copyright. After the GATT URAA negoations in 1978, specimen copies, proof of publication and copyright notices and registration were no longer required in the US. The rule of thumb is that a work is copyrighted unless it specifically says otherwise. The LOC would most likely not cooperate when it comes to works still under copyright.

Somehow or another I completely missed this thread!

In light of what Gaby and Dave have going on, I think any images I may pick up next weekend, I will send copies to both of them along with what I already have. That way there will be at least 3 places where stuff can be found.

Plus, we can hope the very diplomatic determined guy will get through to Don Maslin's son.

Well, I didn't get a blessed thing done on my archive this past weekend. Seems the Dell POS I was going to use has a bad floppy controller and somehow or another locks the 5.25" drive into 1.2 mode even if EVERYTHING says it's a 360K! Oh well, back to a generic no-name machine. They always work better!

Im trying to find a copy of CPM/3 for the Tandy Model 4/4p...
Altho I found a source from the site that has the emulator Im using, it is in ACE format and every winace Ive downloaded claims its 'broken'...

As long as I can find the system/bios file(s) I could probably connive a working system from it...
It neednt be in the original format... and could even be in a DOS folder.

Assistance would be greatly appreciated!
:D

Sorry, leeb. :blush:

I think the archive's damaged--note the big block of 0000 between CAF0h and 30ED0H. That doesn't look right. i.e. out of 208,896 bytes, 148,448 of them are zero.

Yes, I noticed that when I opened it in notepad... last nite. :shock:

Think simply removing the nulls would do any good? Just a thought.:eh:

Id like to get CPM3 working so that I will know it a bit better when I attempt a re-write for the system Im attempting to design/build...

A 'kinda-down-the-road' affair, as I have 2 machines that still require repair (and whats left of my hair :x) but I want to be completely familiar with the memory-banking techniques it uses before I finish the system...

Thanks for taking a look! Please feel free to PM me if you happen to find anything useful! :mrgreen:

I'll have a look through my collection when I get a chance to see if there's something there for the Mod 4 that you can use. But no--I don't think that removing the nulls will fix anything.

Back