• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Cp/M User Group Software

Moonferret

Experienced Member
Hi Folks!

Just picked up a job lot of 8" Floppy disks. Mainly blank disks but there are some which are labelled as 'CP/M User Group Software Volumes 1-46' I'll need to pinch a drive from my Altos 8000 and hook it up to a PC to read them. My question is, does anybody know what might be on them? are they already likely to have been archived or is this something I should be looking at doing?

Cheers,
Dave

Yes,

I'm glad you asked this question ... If you browse our disk catalog, namely

http://maben.homeip.net/static/S100/cromemco/code/disks/catalog.txt

then I believe the disks below (noted as lost on my index, i.e I lost the original IBM format SS SD originals were

LOST CPM master diskettes
101 LGSSSDST Various CPM utility programs
102 LGSSSDST Lawrence Livermore and disk Tiny Basic
103 LGSSSDST Basic E games and programs
104 LGSSSDST Actor, ML80 and examples of Fortran 80 code
105 LGSSSDST Basic E compiler and runtime interpreter
106 LGSSSDST Chicago Area computer hobbiest exchange software
107 LGSSSDST Pilot - Programmed inquiry, learning and teaching
108 LGSSSDST Various CP/M utility programs
109 LGSSSDST General ledger programs in Mits Basic
110 LGSSSDST Lawrence Livermore and disk Tiny Basic improved
111 LGSSSDST Disk TiniBasic and Processor Technology Basic
112 LGSSSDST Pilot Interpreters patched for CP/M
113 LGSSSDST Basic E, C Basic, Microsoft Basic programs
114 LGSSSDST Various CP/M utilities
115 LGSSSDST CP/M utilities and non Basic Games
116 LGSSSDST Assemblers, other utilities and Focal
117 LGSSSDST Utilities, Denver Tiny Basic and Non Basic games
118 LGSSSDST Yale and other Maths routines, Casual language
119 LGSSSDST Various Utilities
120 LGSSSDST Basic E, C Basic programs and pictures
121 LGSSSDST Microsoft Basic Games
122 LGSSSDST Monstrous Startrek Games
123 LGSSSDST Stoic (Stack Orientated Interactive compiler)
124 LGSSSDST CP/M utilities, Macro Libraries and Ratfor
125 LGSSSDST 8080 / Z80 Assembler utilities
126 LGSSSDST Microsoft Basic and Fortran games and utilities
127 LGSSSDST Microsoft Basic Games
128 LGSSSDST Basic E utilities and games, and Algolm compiler
129 LGSSSDST Assembler Games and utilities
130 LGSSSDST Basic E PLM source
131 LGSSSDST Tarbell Basic, Manual and Assembler source
132 LGSSSDST Tarbell Basic assembler source cont, 8080 assembler
133 LGSSSDST Search and rescue programs
134 LGSSSDST SAM76 macro and text processing language
135 LGSSSDST Felix Graphics animation system
136 LGSSSDST Assemblers, editors and text proocessor
137 LGSSSDST C Basic2 programs
138 LGSSSDST CPM speed up utilities, Tarbell controller utilities
139 LGSSSDST Music programs Software Tech or Radio Shack hardware
140 LGSSSDST Various utilities and modem programs
141 LGSSSDST Ham radio, Fortran Chess and curve fitting programs
142 LGSSSDST Dissamblers and Diablo Daisywheel printer driver

regards marcus b

I'm very interested in the files in this package, but am rather ignorant of how to make or use a CD. This is what I did.
1. downloaded the November_1994_Walnut_Creek_cpm_cdrom.iso file. Pretty sure I got the entire file, it's 650MB.
2. copied it to a CD using my XP machine and then burned it. It's there.
But how do I use this? I can click on it all day and nothing happens. Mike

Usually, the CD/burner has a special function to burn ISOs as images, and not as files. I think that you probably burned this as a file. If you want something for XP that can do this stuff, try CD Burner XP. It's free.

Geeezzz... I downloaded the CD Burner XP. My webroot reported malware, opencandy. The program loaded, I ran it and I believe that the *.iso was transferred to the CD. At least the CD Burner reported that it worked, but when I look at the CD there is nothing there. I thought that I would see a number of files on the CD, but the XP explorer doesn't show any files at all. I tried another computer and it says to insert a disk, as if there is none there. I tried to recopy the *.iso using CD Burner again to the same disk, but it reports that the CD is full. Seems I have gone around this block before. Each time I try to burn a CD it doesn't work and I just end up with a waste basket full of dead CD's. Rats! Mike

You did use CD Burner XP (I just downloaded this ISO and burned a CD myself--it works fine) "Burn an ISO iimage" function, didn't you? Not the "burn data files", right?

Yup that's correct. I'm going to download the iso file again, maybe I had a problem with the file itself. I asked the CD Burner XP to verify the file after the burn and it reported that all was well, yet still nothing when trying to access anything on the CD. I'm going to try burning something other than the iso file to see if anything works. That should prove out the CD Burner XP and my CD drive. I found another burner program 'Cheetah' put it on a different computer, which is running windows 2000, it doesn't do the job either. Maybe it is my copy of the iso file. Still plugging. Mike

Well.... I'll be. Apparently my first copy of the *.ISO was bad. I downloaded a second copy and found that the new copy was a larger file than the first. So my hopes were up. AND.... this time it works. So my equipment and the new Burner program are OK. There sure is a boat load of stuff on this disk. Looks like some good reading and maybe some good things and ideas for my little 8080 CP/M 2.2 machine. Thanks I appreciate you guys post this stuff. I'm sure after I get into this stuff, I'll have more questions. Mike

Back