• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CP/M86 for IBM PC-AT source build kit

Oldcoder

The DRI CP/M 86 Alteration Guide (part of CP/M 86 System Guide) and OEM disks refer to the Intel SBC 86/12, which is decidedly not PC compatible!

There were Retail versions of CP/M 86 for the IBM PC-XT and PC-AT. I am interested in porting onto a more modern PC (386 / 486 / Pentium based PC).
Is the IBM OEM disk together with IBM PC BOOT, CBIOS (including switch to build LDBIOS), LDCOPY, SYSGEN, FORMAT (HDMAINT & DSKMAINT) sources and test suite available?

I presume that the IBM PC versions purely use IBM BIOS INT calls to access the hardware.

Thanks

Peter

I thought the CP/M-86 support for the AT was through a third party patch done much later but there was no official DRI release of CP/M-86 for the AT.

If it's the 286/386 CP/M-86 experience that you're after, why not CCPM-86 or Concurrent DOS?
Either might be more accommodating to other than 160K/320K media.

I have an Intel iSBC 286/12 with monitor ROM's that should allow me to boot the system from a floppy or HD, but I have not tested the winchester & floppy interface yet, but not sure where to source an OS.

It could in theory run all sorts of abstract intel stuff, but CP/M would at least be understandable.

Gary,

A quick look at the cpm8611src.zip on the Robdeamon's link above would appear to be the build sources that you are looking for. They also include the CP/M80 ASM86.COM, GENDEF.COM, and GENCMD.COM tools so that you can build CP/M86 on an old CP/M 80 2.2 system if you don't have a working CP/M86 system. I have the 144 FEAT2 version running under Oracle VirtualBox.

Looking at the CP/M86 Operating System Guide (Alteration Guide to you and me) The sources above would appear to be most of what comes on the OEM distribution disks. The original disks also have SERIAL.CMD that will serialize individual copies of CP/M86, it will use your OEM number as part of the serialization process.

Ths BIOS.A86 claims to be for the SBC

;*********************************************
;* *
;* Basic Input/Output System (BIOS) for *
;* CP/M-86 Configured for iSBC 86/12 with *
;* the iSBC 204 Floppy Disk Controller *
;* *
;* (Note: this file contains both embedded *
;* tabs and blanks to minimize the list file *
;* width for printing purposes. You may wish*
;* to expand the blanks before performing *
;* major editing.) *
;*********************************************

There is also a copy of ROM.A86 for the SBC., so one might assume that the LMCMD.CMD and LDCOPY utilities are also fo rth eSBC. Your main difficulty in the modern world will be to pursuade a modern system to write to SD 8" FM disks.

Hope this helps

Peter

You might be able to create a FlashFloppy image to emulate the 8" disk and replace one of the 8" drives on the SBC with a Gotek.

The links to CP/M-86 sources are interesting. Thanks to previous participants in the discussion.

I have various Intel iSBC-86 boards and will try to boot the disk mentioned below.

Following the links on robdaemon’s post #3, I located a Teledisk image of a DRI boot disk (8 inch) containing CP/M-86 v1.0 for the iSBC-86/12. It’s disk 23 in the collection listed under the heading MP/M-86. There a jpg of the disk and BIOS code files.

It should have been obvious that DRI would have a version of CP/M-86 for Intel’s systems. An Intel document, Article Reprint 286 (AR-286, June 1983) has the title: Software That Resides in Silicon. It describes the Intel 80130 and 80150 40-pin ICs. The 80130 contains “The iRMX-86 Kernel in Silicon”. Similarly, the 80150 contains “CP/M-86 in Silicon”.

The text continues: “CP/M-86 is a single-user, single-tasking system written in position-dependent code. The 80150 contains the entire CP/M-86 operating system; for many configurations, it requires no off-chip code. Intel’s goal was to use the configuration-dependent CCP and BDOS elements as a base, and add to them a BIOS that supported a variety of peripheral components but was still configuration independent”.

The article provides further discussion of the implementation. What it doesn’t mention is which Intel boards were designed with the 80150 in mind.

Intel publication 230786-001 Software Handbook 1984 contains a Datasheet detailing the 80150 and 80150-2 with iAPX 86/50, 88/50, 186/50 and 188/50 processors. The Datasheet is publication 210705-002 dated September 1982.

“CP/M-86 is a single-user operating system designed for computers based on the Intel iAPX 86, 88, 186 and 188 microprocessors. The system allows full utilization of the one megabyte of memory. The 80150 stores CP/M-86 in its 16K bytes of on-chip memory. The 80150 will run third-party applications software written to run under standard Digital Research CP/M-86”.

However, it appears that the ‘Software in Silicon’ experiment was short-lived.

Further discussion (March 2017) of the 80130 and 80150 is at

“A similar part was made by Intel called the 80150-2. The 80150 was merely a 80130-2 with different firmware. In this case the entire CP/M-86 Operating System was squeezed into the 16K ROM of the chip. This proved to be even less popular, likely in large part to CP/M being a rather expensive and unpopular OS at the time. To date, I have never actually seen a D80150-2 part”.
[...]
“Intel stopped making the 80130 before 1988 however, leaving them in the position of needing a chip that they designed, but no longer made. It wasn’t worth making runs of them in a fab, as this was capacity they needed for other, profitable chips, and likely the process they used to make it originally was a relic of the past. So Intel did what InnovASIC does today…. They recreated the 80130 in a gate-array, in this case a uPD65040 series from NEC”.

Back