• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CPM-ish how to copy to another user area?

Thanks!! You are correct SIGMV300.

But, how do I convert a LBR file to a COM ? Example: PPIP14. LBR

Thanks
Ken

Thanks.

But how do I convert a LBR file to COM? Example: PPIP14. LBR

Thanks
Ken

You will need unarchiving utility. https://techtinkering.com/articles/working-with-lbr-files-on-cpm/ lists some that run on CP/M but are in LBR format as well. https://theunarchiver.com/command-line worked for me in extracting files from a lbr under Windows. Hopefully, the Mac and Linux versions will also work if you use those OSes. Given the multiple forms of LBR utilities, I would suggest downloading NULU and perhaps other small utilities and extracting them before transferring to the CP/M machine. That way, even if you encounter a LBR that doesn't extract with unarchiver, there would be a CP/M tool that supports the LBR ready.

NSWP207.com makes it easy to Tag all the files, then Mass copy then to drive/user such as A2 or A5.

The Opening screen has the valid commands.

Larry

I also found version 1.8 and 1.9. These versions seems to be for ZCPR3

Attachments

• ppip18.zip
    66.5 KB · Views: 2
  • ppip19.zip
    3.5 KB · Views: 2
this started as a post from 2020

first PIP can copy between users.

============
1. Move to the new user space, e.g. A0> USER 1
2. Copy the file over, appending [Gn] where n is the source user space e.g. A1> PIP ZORK1.COM = ZORK1.COM[G0]
=============

you don't need to go nuts looking for a special version of copy the native CPM has you covered.

LBR files are actually amazing and most users today are unaware of how you can use them.
LBR is a archive like ZIP but its more then that.

when disk space was a premium the wizards of old figured out how to run binaries directly out of LBR archives.
they would compress an amazing array of system tools and applications into LBR archives placed in the USER 0 of the main boot disk and then you could use "LRUN"
and run directly from archive saving you not only disk space but also file allocation space.
5 files would take up not only drive space but 5 possible file spots in the stock cp/m 2.2 O/S when you only had 256 to play with.

LRUN had some limitations and so many people came up with replacements to get around limitations.

here is an amazing launcher

hard drive mod allowing 1024 files making use of USER more important as sub directories.
https://github.com/ratboy666/hd1024

there are also tools like CHDIR that define the USER areas as directories

i have a duel 5mb hard drive setup for my altair with 2 360kb drives. my cp/m is hacked to use 1024 file entires.
i have a COMMAND.LBR on my A: in USER 0
and i use the R.com from https://github.com/ratboy666/r to run everything from the command.lbr archive.
i have wordstar, Mbasic in there and over 100 utilities. all saving space.

its a way of thinking and file management that has been lost to time as drives became cheap and large there was no point in all this on the fly compression and decompression, dos users never went through this.

something you can explore as its amazing.

Going back in time has its questions... Attached is a copy of Focal. Focal was originally made by Digital Equipment Corp. late 60's.
I have Focal running on Linux, Windows and Coherent. It would be a great addition to CP/M.

I changed the extension to TXT from ASM so I could upload it.

When I ASM it, it produces a HEX file. How do I make an executable (CP/M 2.2) COM file out of it.

Regarding ZCPR3 I have noticed many apps. After NULU but complain about not being a ZCPR3 program.
But that's for another day.

Thanks
Ken

Attachments

• FOCAL.TXT
    52.8 KB · Views: 6
that 1975 focal code does not look CP/M compliant. it looks like it was meant to load from tape.

ah its here
original listing

intel hex

using ASM produces a PRN and HEX file of the compiled code.
you need to load the hex file.

ASM FOCAL
then
LOAD FOCAL

that will create focal.com

but it may not be able to run since the code is set to org 0 not org 100H for cp/m its also not using BDOS calls.

Well I guess it is a wash out.
ASMbleded OK no Errors.
LINKed OK no Errors.
Then ran it and machine locks up.

It would have been really nice to see it run...

try the 1978 version i linked to its inside the focal zip archive.
they give a .MAC Z80 version also you could use the microsoft assembler and linker M80 and L80.

When trying to ASMble this happens:

C7>asm focpm.asm
CP/M ASSEMBLER - VER 2.0
NO DIRECTORY SPACE <--- ?

C7>stat
C: R/W, Space: 7112k

Thanks

This happens

C7>LOAD FOCPM

ERROR: INVERTED LOAD ADDRESS, LOAD ADDRESS 0000
C7>

Ken