• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CPU Systems "CPU 8" based on Fairchild F8

snuci

Veteran Member
I recently acquired an F8 based system from "CPU Systems" called the CPU-8. It has an expansion bus but sadly, I am missing the RAM card so I'll probably have to try to reproduce it at some point. Luckily I have some documentation but it's not complete. For reference, here are some pics.

CPU_8_front.jpgCPU_8_side.jpgCPU_8_top.jpg

The portions of documentation I have is linked here. Has anyone seen anything like this? I'd love to be able to find more complete documentation, if it exists.

It is really cool! It doesn't look like the RAM will be too hard to deal with. You could either make the 2102 system or use a more modern memory chip. There is information on the F8 for the game machines, Channel F and VideoBrain, on the web. One of the fellows has made a fpga version of the video chip used with the VideoBrain. It was a design that was relatively advanced for its day, with multiple sprites and collision detection.
Dwight

Very cool! You can find my short writeup on getting my F8 Kit going elsewhere on the forums, but you don't actually need any RAM to get it running if it's using the FAIR-BUG PSU for the monitor -- that runs entirely out of scratchpad registers.

Thanks for the relies guys. It's good to know I can do something with it but the seller confessed that he never got it to work when he was building it so I'll have to do some experimentation. He also said that he still might have the RAM card and would mail it to me of he finds it so I'll hold off a little before doing anything. It is interesting home brew construction and quite symmetrical which makes it look nice :)

Back