• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Craigs list.. and trolls.

Couple unpleasant reads.. not sure why I kept reading lol. I did my first craigslist ad not too long ago but it went pretty well. Not too much spam (or if there was it was filtered by yahoo). The only thing I did see which a friend noticed also is a few replies that don't seem to have anything about the ad mentioned. I guess it's worth their time just to harvest your email address (wouldn't think so but that's what they appear to be). So a reply like "I'm interested in your ad. Could you tell me details?" or other bland replies I didn't respond to. One was "could you send me a picture of the item in your ad?" again, while a picture would help the buyer the generic terms used made me assume it's a bot.

The rest were asking for the measurements of the device which are exactly what most folks would want to know. Either way, I actually got what I asked which was cool and had about 4 legit replies the first day.

Not a bad experience although I was still nervous about having someone come to my home. If it's a small enough item in the future I'll probably just meet someone publicly.

I have actually had a troll on the phone, or it was two of them.
First one of them sent an e-mail, telling me to give him a call. And when I sent a reply saying that he could ask me over e-mail or call my cellphone. Which he unfortunately did, asking for all the specs, complaining about his internet connection, requiring my address and directions from streets nowhere near...
The next day his "friend" calls, asking all the questions all over again... and give me two different dates and times he can come and pickup the item, which he never did.

But I didn't know about trolls until some weeks ago when my little brother told me. I couldn't even imagine why anyone would enjoy "trolling" or being a troll.

just ask someone from /b/ and you'll know why. i think it has to do with hating on people just for the fun of it.

/b/ ? A troll just called me motherf--- because I had the highest rated comment on a YouTube clip, some people are just sad :(

I want to go to the "World Class Garage Sale" I mean, there is going to be a sting quartet and a bar...

Ok, some of these email chains are pretty damned funny.

Last edited:
Omg that was funny lol.

Lol, who would hire a bartender for a garage sale.
I think the spoon-knife thingy was hillarious, gave me a good laugh!

The first ones were a bit on the edge though. It's not funny when you hurt someone's feelings just so you can get a laugh.

Man, those gave me some good laughs... :mrgreen:

(Even though some of them were downright mean, but I couldn't help myself...)

Thank you for sharing this site with us, Jorg... ;)

I'm certainly not in favour of abusive behaviour but obviously many of these are not really trolls and actually attempts at theatre. The thing that is both funny and sad in many of these cases, is the inability of some "victims" to let go. It reminds me of a phone "troll" some years back who would call up people and say "hang up a**hole", and they wouldn't! He would keep some people on the phone for a long time that way - they just couldn't let go. It's a strange psychology.

I'm certainly not in favour of abusive behaviour but obviously many of these are not really trolls and actually attempts at theatre. The thing that is both funny and sad in many of these cases, is the inability of some "victims" to let go. It reminds me of a phone "troll" some years back who would call up people and say "hang up a**hole", and they wouldn't! He would keep some people on the phone for a long time that way - they just couldn't let go. It's a strange psychology.

That's really creepy!

That's really creepy!
Yep, but it's a part of everyone's psychology. Hopefully most of us are not so compulsive about "being right" and have moved on developmentally. :)

Actually, I think this Craigs list guy lacks a bit of substance and perhaps ethics. He says "My goal is to mess with them, confuse them, and/or piss them off. " That approach is suspect to me. Check out the similar discourse with a guy who tries to pay a bill with a drawing, which was discussed here a while back. It's got a lot more class. :)

These "trolls" are just being complete jerks by wasting peoples time on craigslist, I do not disagree with you on that point at all. To pull off a good joke, you gotta have a bit of class. But have you really never, ever, messed with anyone's head? For instance, one time, way back in the day, me and a friend were sitting around "bored", so we threw open the hood of his old fairlane and loaded it up with a bunch of junk parts. We then proceeded to drive up to the middle of our small town where we shut the car off at the stop light, faking a breakdown. While the cars lined up behind us, we threw open the hood, and started flinging various critical parts high into the air, letting them bounce past the onlooking, shocked bystanders. We then shut the hood, confidently strolled back around the car, hopped in and took off. The WTF look on those usually sour old faces was priceless. It's a dirty job, but someone's gotta do it.

Strange in a way how the term troll came to be used. I remember snert being popular way back when.

Although I was familiar with the term, I went and looked it up anyway, just to be sure it had no other connotations. After reading a bit titled psycology of a troll, I had to laugh. These internet trolls are really just pale amateurs. If you want to see a real troll in the flesh, just hang out at a bar for a while. They are pretty easy to spot, ten feet tall, bleary eyes, rancid breath, and rubbery bulletproof skin.

If you want to see a real troll in the flesh, just hang out at a bar for a while. They are pretty easy to spot, ten feet tall, bleary eyes, rancid breath, and rubbery bulletproof skin.
Something like this? Anyways; this is what I think of when I hear the word "troll":
Theodor_Kittelsen_-_Skogtroll,_1906_(Forest_Troll).jpg

Something like this? Anyways; this is what I think of when I hear the word "troll":

I see you have met some, too. Fortunately, they may be eliminated by corrosive humor and fired up bouncers. However, they tend to regenerate by the next weekend.

Back