• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Crash Course on NetWare

My first exposure to Netware was when we used it with Windows 3.1 . It was Netware 3.11, which is a simple command-line process. LOGIN.EXE gives you the prompt to login to the network. MAP.EXE lets you map drive letters to volumes on the server. The server carries out garbage collection automatically, so there was never a need to do a defrag. Recently deleted files could be restored by the server administrator.

The IPX protocol is similar to NetBEUI - it is very fast on a local network, but terrible over the internet. That's when you need TCP/IP. IPX also needs no configuration (IP addresses etc) - it just works.

Our engineering dept worked out how to get the Netware client working on NT4, and eventually we upgraded to Netware 4 which introduced a whole new security model, and proper GUI setup programs. It was a quantum leap in usability. I went on a Netware course and came away with an install disk which lets me create a server with a few users. Never did try it out though.

But, in the year 2000, we ditched Netware and moved over to Microsoft Active Directory, and we all got shiny new computers running Windows 2000, and having internet access at last.

Back